Error installing Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ptoye
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux (Debian-derived)

Error installing Guest Additions

Post by ptoye »

I'm a VBox and Linux newbie, so please be gentle.
I need to install a Debian-derived guest into a Windows 10 host - that installation went OK. But I also want the Guest Additions, and ran into problems. I looked at the HOWTO page and mounted the ISO image virtual CD OK and then did an apt-get to install missing bits (most were already there). That all seemed to work.
I tried

Code: Select all

sudo ./autorun.sh
but got an error message:

Linux guest additions installer not found -- try to start them manually.
So I tried

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
and it said

This system appears to have a version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions already installed....
But I can't get the clipboard to work (hence the typos in my reporting) - is there anything else I need to do? I've rebooted the guest.
Peter
_johnny

Re: Error installing Guest Additions

Post by _johnny »

You have to also enable the shared clipboard in your virtual machine settings page. (Settings -> General -> Advanced)
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

_johnny wrote:You have to also enable the shared clipboard in your virtual machine settings page. (Settings -> General -> Advanced)
Should have said - I'd already done that.

It seems that the VBox clipboard software isn't running properly in the guest. A helpful techie on the guest software site showed me how to get it running, so I'm sorted now. Would be good to know why, though.
Peter
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

mpack wrote:Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
As I said in my reply above, I'm sort of sorted now. But here's a log. If you have the time, it would be good to know what's happening, and maybe make the clipboard startup automatic.
Attachments
VMLog.zip
Zipped version of VM log
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Peter
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ptoye wrote:t seems that the VBox clipboard software isn't running properly in the guest. A helpful techie on the guest software site showed me how to get it running
It might be useful to us to know what the techie said & did, too. Could you please let us know?
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

scottgus1 wrote:
ptoye wrote:t seems that the VBox clipboard software isn't running properly in the guest. A helpful techie on the guest software site showed me how to get it running
It might be useful to us to know what the techie said & did, too. Could you please let us know?
Run the command

/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard
I'll put this into my startup sequence. The helpful person didn't know why it wasn't automatic in the first place.
Peter