Blue screen in Kali

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
galacticomlette

Blue screen in Kali

Post by galacticomlette »

Hello all!! If anyone can help this new comer to the Kali world that would be greatly appreciated.

I’m running VB inside a MacOS High Sierra v 10.13.6. Kali is Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x (64-bit). Base memory of 1129

I updated Kali and all that and last night I updated my Mac. It was working for about 15 minutes and then it was slowing down so I opted to shut the machine down and open my VM again and blam it loaded the blue screen.

Anyone have a fix for this? Is there a thread I’m missing that can help me?

Anything is appreciated.

Cheers,
G.O.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Blue screen in Kali

Post by mpack »

galacticomlette wrote:I opted to shut the machine down
Does "machine" mean the host or the guest? If the latter, how exactly did you shut it down? Do you mean clicking the shutdown function on the guest OS, or do you mean killing the VirtualBox host process?

Also, a VM log is required for all support questions. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
galacticomlette

I’m sorry I’m at work, I’ll post the log when I get home.
By machine I mean I closed out of the terminal then “powered off” my VM. Closed out of VB and restarted.
I believe I did everything correctly. I did not do a hard power off or anything.

Again I’ll get the log posted in a few hours when I’m home.

Cheers
galacticomlette

Here is the log.

Cheers.
Attachments
Kali Linux-2019-11-20-11-04-08.log
(127.78 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ahem. What happened to my instruction to zip the log file?

This topic was created in the wrong forum (OS X Guests). Your guest is Kali Linux, your host is OS X. I'll move the topic to the Linux Guests forum.

As to your problem, I doubt that the correct Linux version has been chosen: you chose a generic Linux 2.6 kernel, whereas I'd think the correct choice was Debian (64bit).

Also I see that the VM runs long enough to start the Guest Additions, only it isn't the VirtualBox Guest Additions, it's the GAs from the Debian fork.

Is 1GB RAM, 1 CPU core and 16MB graphics RAM really going to be enough? Mind you on this host you can't afford much more RAM for the VM.
galacticomlette

Thank you,
So I’ll install Debian as opposed to the version I have now.
As far as upgrading this machine goes I’m purchasing a new box that is going to be 100% Linux based so I’ll probably not upgrade this one because I should have the new box in a week or two.
Do you have a suggestion for specs that would efficiently run Debian on a machine for pentesting but not necessarily brute force levels?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

galacticomlette wrote: So I’ll install Debian as opposed to the version I have now.
There should be no need to reinstall anything, just change the Linux version and other recommendations in the VM settings.
galacticomlette wrote: Do you have a suggestion for specs that would efficiently run Debian on a machine for pentesting but not necessarily brute force levels?
On a new PC I'd suggest for the VM RAM=2048MB, Graphics RAM=128MB, 2 cores. Your current host can't afford the first of of these so on your current host I'd leave it set to 1024MB or thereabouts, increase graphics RAM to 64MB, and assign 2 cores.

If you do decide to reinstall from scratch then I'd suggest a 32GB dynamic VDI drive.