OracleLinux guest hangs on boot after guest addition installation

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dvanero

OracleLinux guest hangs on boot after guest addition installation

Post by dvanero »

My RH guest is hanging on boot after I installed the Guest Additions.
The GA seemed to install correctly and I did not notice any error messages
I have 2 other guests which I have installed GA and they work fine.

Not sure how to troubleshoot.

BR ,
dvanero
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OracleLinux guest hangs on boot after guest addition installation

Post by socratis »

dvanero wrote:The GA seemed to install correctly and I did not notice any error messages
That's a good start, but I take it you didn't keep the installation log, right?
dvanero wrote:I have 2 other guests which I have installed GA and they work fine.
What's the difference? There must be one...
dvanero wrote:Not sure how to troubleshoot.
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dvanero

Post by dvanero »

Hi,
Thanks very much for the response. I need to clarify my statement though
dvanero wrote: I have 2 other guests which I have installed GA and they work fine.
The other 2 guests are Solaris and W10. I installed the GA and they are working just fine.

This RHEL Guest I have trouble with was working fine, until I installed the GA.

It hangs on boot and I have captrued the log as requested.

TIA,
Attachments
LINUX-OBI-7.6.64.1-2019-11-12-09-12-50.log.zip
vbox logeile
(26.74 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.917235 VirtualBox VM 6.0.8 r130520 win.amd64 (May 13 2019 14:14:44) release log
That's an old VirtualBox version. Please upgrade before trying anything further with the procedure.
00:00:04.383397 Guest OS type: 'Oracle_64'
That's not a RedHat guest, that's an OracleLinux guest. They're close I know, but accuracy never hurt anyone, except future searchers who might be confused by the thread's title...

Finally, I don't see any sign at all that you've installed the Guest Additions (GAs) on the Guest. Sure you have mounted the GAs ISO in the Guest, but that alone won't do anything. Can you try to install the GAs again? And this time please capture the installation output.

But all of this after you've upgraded to the latest and greatest...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dvanero

Post by dvanero »

Hi,
Yes the GA were installed. Not sure why you cant see that in the logs?

In the mean time, i have upgraded VB on my host and rebult the OLINUX guest and reran the GA installation.

Unfrotunately , I am unable to capture the log Cut/paste does not work since I cant reboot after the GA install since it hangs on boot

I did save the GA install log to a file on the OLINUX guest, however since the GA is not installed , I am unable to create a share and copy it off.

IS there another way to get the log off the guest before I reboot it and hang it again on the next reboot?

For what its worth, the GA installs correctly and no errors.

When I rebult the OLINUX guest from the Oracle provided https://myhelp.oracle.com/app/answers/a ... id/1009921

I noticed a KSPLICE error but am unable to capture it as well. Not sure if its a RED herring or part of the problem and the GA install is the RED herring.

I have not tried to reboot without installing the GA. I was hoping to capture the logfile before I do that since the hang leads to having to do the whole process over again.

Hope this makes sense.

BR,
Dennis
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

dvanero wrote:Yes the GA were installed. Not sure why you cant see that in the logs?
The VBox log file shows the start of the VM, which takes about 40 seconds. Then it shows powering off the VM about 10 minutes later. What you do inside a running guest OS is normally not shown in the VBox log file, so maybe you have installed the GAs. But if you had issued a reboot inside the guest OS, there would have been a lot of messages about this in the VBox log file. Did you maybe post the wrong log file?

The forum regulars usually do not encourage users to post more than one VBox log file, but in your case I'll make an exception: Please post all VBox log files of your new VM, in one zipped file.
dvanero wrote:IS there another way to get the log off the guest before I reboot it and hang it again on the next reboot?
Show the log inside the VM window, go to the VM window menu and enable and disable View -> Video Capture. Afterwards, you can go to the Virtual Machine Manager, to the Display -> Video Capture settings to find the location of the video file.
 Edit:  
After writing this, I realized that a screenshot on the host would be even easier. ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#3366CC]fth0[/color] wrote:Please post all VBox log files of your new VM
If the GAs are installed, it will show in "VBox.log", there's no need to see all 4 of them, the last/current one would show the GAs as being operational. But, the fact of the matter remains that the Guest Additions are *not* installed.
[color=#105289]dvanero[/color] wrote:For what its worth, the GA installs correctly and no errors.
Not according to the logs, they're not. How do you know that they were correctly installed? I want to see a screenshot of the installation process.

Actually, if the GAs are installed correctly, you should be able to get the installation output with Copy-from-the-Guest/Paste-in-the-Host, if you enable the Shared Clipboard before you launch the VM. Which you did:
00:00:04.415760 Shared clipboard mode: Bidirectional
[color=#105289]dvanero[/color] wrote:I was hoping to capture the logfile
Just to make sure we're on the same page, you should be clearly indicating which log file you're referring to; there's the "Guest Additions installer output" and there's the "VBox.log". We're obviously interested in both, but if the VM hangs after the GAs installation, we need to see the VBox.log. Look at my 1st reply, I hate repeating myself... ;)

BTW, changing the title of the thread, this is not a "RH guest", this is an "OracleLinux guest" we're talking about...
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

socratis wrote:If the GAs are installed, it will show in "VBox.log", there's no need to see all 4 of them, the last/current one would show the GAs as being operational.
I've been asking for all 4 log files just in case dvanero has made several attempts, and the interesting one is not the last one. (It's like asking customers for unfiltered Wireshark traces, because I usually know better which captured packets I'm not interested in, than the customer that filters out all packets they deem not important.)

I also thought about the possibility that the GAs were installed, the guest were shut down (instead of rebooted), and the next start were aborting before creating a new VBox.log file. But if I understand you correctly now, the VBox.log file of the run during which the GAs were installed would show messages indicating the installation process.

So let's wait for information from dvanero.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fth0 wrote:than the customer that filters out all packets they deem not important
Oh boy, hate that! a) they don't know what the problem is, but b) they know how to "filter" those things that they know (somehow) aren't needed! :evil:
fth0 wrote:and the next start were aborting before creating a new VBox.log file
The GAs' existence or not shows up really early in the boot process. If the guest was hanging before that, the GAs aren't your problem. ;)