[Solved] Modules Fail to Load on Boot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
johnywhy

[Solved] Modules Fail to Load on Boot

Post by johnywhy »

this is a linux guest running on a windows host using virtualbox.

I'm seeing a message quickly flash by during boot, which says something about modules failing to load, and instructing to run the command below. I don't notice any missing functionality. Is this of concern?

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux lilegg 5.3.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT @1572357769 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# systemctl status systemd-modules-load
* systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-11-09 00:04:25 UTC; 1min 49s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 233 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 233 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.
Last edited by johnywhy on 10. Nov 2019, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Modules Fail to Load on Boot

Post by socratis »

johnywhy wrote:I don't notice any missing functionality. Is this of concern?
I didn't notice the word VirtualBox in there. Why would it be a VirtualBox concern?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

question edited, above.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Here's a bit more info. Seems it's all about VirtualBox.

# journalctl _PID=233
-- Logs begin at Fri 2019-11-08 15:09:41 UTC, end at Sat 2019-11-09 08:26:01 UTC. --
Nov 08 17:36:25 lilegg systemd-modules-load[233]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Nov 08 17:36:25 lilegg systemd-modules-load[233]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Nov 08 17:36:25 lilegg systemd-modules-load[233]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Nov 08 17:36:25 lilegg systemd-modules-load[233]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'

# modprobe vboxdrv
modrpobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/5.3.8-arch1-1
From what i've read so far, this might be some sort of kernel-mismatch. Others have reported a similar problem after recent kernel updates.
I noticed the shared folder no longer mounts automatically on boot, but i'm still able to mount it with

mount -t vboxsf D_DRIVE /mnt/D_DRIVE
I'll keep reading...
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Fixed. i removed the Guest Additions installed from the VBox CD

./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall
Also removed virtualbox-host-dkms, which was my error (meant for non-default kernel, i think). I suspect this might have been the source of the loading error.

pacman -Rus virtualbox-host-dkms
That failed, with an alert to run `dkms remove`, but i didn't have success with that. I read that the dkms directory can just be manually deleted, so i did that, and then uninstalled again.

Installed virtualbox-guest-utils and virtualbox-guest-modules-arch as directed on arch wiki

pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils
pacman -S virtualbox-guest-modules-arch
i might have enabled the service, i don't recall, but it's running

systemctl enable vboxservice.service
added the modules, but not sure if necessary

modprobe -a vboxguest vboxsf vboxvideo
i added the users to the group, but not sure if that was even necessary

gpasswd -a johny vboxsf
gpasswd -a root vboxsf
No more loading errors, everything seems working as expected.

i think these steps are the recommended arch process. I may have repeated some of the above steps in abnormal order, so it would be cool to know the correct order.

thx!