[WorksForMe] Problem mounting a shared folder

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Zbung

[WorksForMe] Problem mounting a shared folder

Post by Zbung »

Hello,

I try to mount a shared folder named Downloads (already set up from Virtualbox on the host).
  1. Host OS : Debian 9.11 (headless), Virtual Box 5.2.24 (controlled from phpVirtualBox 5.2-1)
  2. Guest OS : Debian 9.11 (headless) with linux-headers and virtualbox-guest-dkms (5.2.24-dfsg-4~bpo9+1) installed.
  3. Guest rebooted, no auto mount of the shared folder.
  4. Code: Select all

mkdir /media/Downloads
  5. Code: Select all

sudo mount -t vboxsf Downloads /media/Downloads/

Code: Select all

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on Downloads,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
  6. Code: Select all

sudo dmesg | tail

[   79.306671] vboxsf: Successfully loaded version 5.2.24_Debian (interface 0x00010004)

[   79.306882] sf_read_super_aux err=-22
Note that there is no vboxsf group on the guest. I'm not sure if that means, there's an issue with the installation of virtualbox-guest-dkms. On the other hand, I believe this package is not mandatory for mounting a shared folder on the guest.

I've done some research but I'm going around in circles. Can someone please help ?
Last edited by socratis on 21. Nov 2019, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem mounting a shared folder

Post by socratis »

1. I have the feeling that you're running the Debian-forked version of VirtualBox.

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
    • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
    • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
    • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
  2. Why are you trying to use the VirtualBox Shared Folders option, and you're not setting up true networking shares, like SMB or NFS?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zbung

Post by Zbung »

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. You'll find attached the VBox.log.

2. I need the fastest R/W possible access to the host data. In my opinion, using a SMB share would slow down the access : the data would have to leave the host, go through the switch and come back to the VM. But it's just an assumption, I could be wrong.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VBox.log
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.24_Debian r128122 linux.amd64 (Jan 17 2019 12:17:18) release log
Just as I suspected... It looks like you're using the Debian-fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums/channels for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox. You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.
00:00:00.396595   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.18 r124319; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
And you have the wrong version of the Extension Pack. It's a miracle you're not getting a crash at startup.
00:00:13.713196 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.24 r128122 '5.2.24_Debian'
You also have the Debian-fork version of the Guest Additions (GAs) installed.
Zbung wrote:In my opinion, using a SMB share would slow down the access : the data would have to leave the host, go through the switch and come back to the VM
Not if they're on the same subnet they won't. A gateway/router/switch is only needed if you need to go outside your local subnet.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zbung

Post by Zbung »

Sorry for my late reply, very busy days... And thanks for your help, it makes things much clearer.
socratis wrote:It looks like you're using the Debian-fork version of VirtualBox.
I use an OpenMediaVault virtualbox plugin. It's very well integrated with the web UI of the system, but unfortunately I don't think I have a lot of control over what version is installed. I'm afraid installing another version of VirtualBox brakes the plugin...
socratis wrote:Not if they're on the same subnet they won't. A gateway/router/switch is only needed if you need to go outside your local subnet.
This is very good news. Therefore I set up several NFS shares : now I can easily share data between the host and the VM ! The transfer rates seem very decent.

Thanks again for your help and your explanations.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Zbung wrote:I use an OpenMediaVault virtualbox plugin
Are you talking about this? https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugi ... virtualbox

Just remember that if you run into any snugs you'll have to talk to "them". Marking as [WorksForMe].
Zbung wrote:Thanks again for your help and your explanations.
Sure thing... ;)