Inconsistent copy/paste line break behavior from Windows host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Greylander

Inconsistent copy/paste line break behavior from Windows host

Post by Greylander »

Hello,

I use linux VM's for my classes. For about a quarter of my students, when they copy/paste from their Windows host to Linux (Mint) VM, they get extra linebreak on every line. For myself and the other 3/4 of students, the line-break conversion from Windows to Linux happens automatically and apparently by default.

I've had at least one of the students with the problem [re]install guest additions, so I do not believe that is the issue (also I think copy/paste would not work at all without guest additions, yes?).

What should I be looking for that might be different on the machines where this is a problem, whether on the host or guest side?

Am I correct in assuming the line break conversion is normally taken care of automatically by default by the guest additions? If so, what could disable this functionality.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Inconsistent copy/paste line break behavior from Windows host

Post by socratis »

Are the copy/pastes from the same exact source to the same exact sink? Or are they different ones?

I think I've had once or twice the line break show up as a double line break during a paste, but given the variations of hosts/guests I'm using (the combinations are thousands) and the frequency that this happened (one or twice) I don't think I put it down for further study.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Inconsistent copy/paste line break behavior from Windows host

Post by mpack »

I would look at the source PC, at the exact text being pasted. I.e. examine it with a hex editor.

Line endings in a Windows text file are conventionally <CR><LF>. But that's a CONVENTION, it is not enforced by Windows in any way. If your Windows text editor was Notepad++ (or any text editor that I ever wrote for that matter) then the editor accepts just about any EOL convention, so it won't always be obvious to the eye which one is being used... but if the text is pasted to a target which is not so adaptable then you might have problems.

Ditto with conventions on tabs. Conventionally it means step to the next column multiple of 8. Whether that's actually the convention that your receiving editor accepts, who knows. I tend to make my text editors use spaces instead of tabs, and damn those 7 wasted bytes.

ISTM that cross platform conventional differences is something a student ought to be aware of.