Resolution not maintained in Bunsenlabs VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
xinelo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Home

Resolution not maintained in Bunsenlabs VM

Post by xinelo »

Dear all,

I have a VM running Bunsenlabs. WHen I start it the VB window does not have full size, when I press Hostkey+F, the WIndows window gets full size but the internal window of the LInux guest does not change. I need to go to the layout settings and manually choose the resolution I need (1920x1080).

See screenshot https://imgur.com/a/NOdjgxN

If I reboot the VM, the same thing will happen.

Is there any setting in Virtualbox that I should tweak to make the resolution persistent? Thanks.

Cheers, Manuel
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Resolution not maintained in Bunsenlabs VM

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

PS. Please attach the image locally in your response. Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xinelo

Post by xinelo »

Thanks, socratis.

Here comes my zipped log.

Cheers, Manuel
Attachments
helium5_buster-2019-11-01-17-13-22.zip
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.645206 3DEnabled          <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxVGA" to "VMSVGA". Enable 3D acceleration.
00:00:03.168902 VirtualBox VM 6.0.14 r133895 win.amd64 (Oct 10 2019 19:44:31) release log
00:00:18.356154 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.12 r133076 '6.0.12'
You need to install the Guest Additions that match your main VirtualBox program. With the VM window having the focus, go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...". If not prompted by auto-run, run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" from the CD. Make sure there are no errors or suggestions during the install. You can safely ignore the "modprobe vboxsf" one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xinelo

Post by xinelo »

Thank you, Socratis.

It's better now. Still the screen resolution is not the correct one and the one I select doesn't stay after I reboot, but at least this one is bigger so it's better.

Cheers, Manuel