Cinnamon - software rendering

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cinnamon - software rendering

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:@Socratis, your rudeness is starting to get a bit trying.
Come again? Seriously now? Can you point me to a single rude sentence?
norricorp wrote:switched off anti-virus
You missed the "completely uninstall part"...
norricorp wrote:instead of jumping on lines to make sarcastic comments about
See the 1st point, above.
norricorp wrote:which looking at other issues does seem to be your speciality
Maybe, maybe not. 99% of the users find them useful. On average...
norricorp wrote:Which leaves number 3 and I do not know how the windows host certificate database can be checked for corruption.
Ask Microsoft. It's their problem.
norricorp wrote:I do think you have to accept that cinnamon and virtualbox are a problem
No I don't. Because I'm actually using it on 5 different hosts, 2 of them being Windows, so are other users that I personally know they do.
norricorp wrote:though taking the piss may offer some personal relief, it does not help users or virtualbox.
You're treading on thin ice here, careful.
norricorp wrote:So I will raise this with Nvidia.
Then you've missed the whole point about the Windows Certificate Database...

I've somehow lost my appetite seeing this issue resolved. I don't appreciate it being called names when I'm offering my help, seriously now. I think I'll let others try to help you, I'm done here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
norricorp

Re: Cinnamon - software rendering

Post by norricorp »

I have done a few more things.
I installed VB on a PC with intel integrated graphics. Copied a VB Mint / cinnamon VM over, started it and no software rendering message.
On the PC with the old nvidia card, where mint / cinnamon does show the software rendering message, I run a VM running mint / mate. No message. Does this mean that cinnamon is smart enough to give a message and mate (and gnome on centos) is not?
Finally I contacted nvidia support. The geforce 460se is no longer supported, the last driver update was last year and the digital signature is invalid.
So it does look as though an old nvidia card and its expired digital signature is a problem with virtual box and its use of hardening.