Cinnamon - software rendering

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
norricorp

Cinnamon - software rendering

Post by norricorp »

I know this is regularly asked in both the forum and generally but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.
I am running Mint Linux 19 in virtualbox 6.0.12. I migrated this VM from VMWare workstation where it works fine.
I have set the graphics controller to VBoxSVGA, set 3D acceleration and given it 128 MB of video memory.
And every time I open the VM I get the software rendering message.
The answers to stop this happening generally revolve around set 3D acceleration. It does not happen on a centos 7 VM which does not use cinnamon.

So, is this a cinnamon / virtualbox problem which has always happened and always will? Is there a solution?

As an aside, again with mint / cinnamon, on another VM I have supertuxkart installed. Not the most essential application but fun. Again, on VMware, this funs. On Virtualbox, it runs but is a mess. Is VirtualBox lacking on the graphics front? Does it need more hardware than VMWare?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Cinnamon - software rendering

Post by andyp73 »

norricorp wrote:I am running Mint Linux 19 in virtualbox 6.0.12. I migrated this VM from VMWare workstation where it works fine.
I have set the graphics controller to VBoxSVGA, set 3D acceleration and given it 128 MB of video memory.
The VBoxSVGA vGPU is intended for Windows guests. With a Linux guest you should start by switching it to VMSVGA.

Both of these vGPUs were new in Virtualbox 6.0.x and so may have a few issues. The devs are always keen for reports of issues so they can get the bugs fixed.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:The VBoxSVGA vGPU is intended for Windows guests. With a Linux guest you should start by switching it to VMSVGA.
There should be IMHO an "Invalid Settings Detected" warning there. There is even a warning for the Execution Cap these days. And I can see the user that:
  • Upgrades VirtualBox, gets the VBoxVGA+3D being deprecated in a future 6.1.0 version. With a big, red, error sign nonetheless!
  • User freaks out, thinks that the deprecation is happening with the current version, as in... NOW.
  • User goes in the Display settings, starts picking things at random, because obviously no one is going to read the manual:
    • 50% pick VBoxSVGA, because it sounds similar to VBoxVGA.
    • 50% pick VMSVGA, because it's the next option after VBoxVGA.
Insanity ensues...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

Choosing any of the graphics controllers with a VM running Mint / Cinnamon will give the "Running in software rendering mode" box on login.

So is there something in Cinnamon that can't cope with how VirtualBox handles graphics? Is this a cinnaon problem or a virtualbox problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:Is this a cinnaon problem or a virtualbox problem?
Neither, nor. I have a couple of Cinnamon Mint19 guests and there's no problem whatsoever. My gut feeling is that the problem is with your host (possible hardening error).

Choose the VMSVGA+3D options. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

Zip file attached.
What should I be looking for in the log?
Attachments
mint191-2019-10-21-09-06-41.zip
(28.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:What should I be looking for in the log?
I was looking for your Nvidia GPU drivers being rejected, just as I had suspected:
00:00:04.364258 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
                rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
                \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.
                inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1:
                \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.
                inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll
You have a hardening problem. Read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.

I would start by re-installing the GPU drivers...
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

Thank you for this @socratis.
I have the latest driver for the (rather old) nvidia card. I can't reinstall right now but will consider later.
The notes in the link on hardening mention the VBoxHardening log.
Is it worth attaching that? Again is there anything that I should look for in that log that may help.

Searching for error in the hardening log, there is lots on nvldumdx.dll
Error (rc=0):
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=Unknown Status -23303 (0xffffa4f9) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedWinVerifyCacheInsert: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll
1d88.fc8: Error (rc=0):
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000190 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll'
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cache hit (Unknown Status -23303 (0xffffa4f9)) on \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=Unknown Status -23303 (0xffffa4f9) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll
1d88.fc8: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
Last edited by socratis on 21. Oct 2019, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:I can't reinstall right now but will consider later
Just be aware that there's going to be no 3D acceleration until you clear up this.
norricorp wrote:mention the VBoxHardening log. Is it worth attaching that?
Not really, I see the "rejection" of your GPU drivers in the VBox.log, that's more than enough evidence. Nothing more can be added by the VBoxHardening.log...
norricorp wrote:Again is there anything that I should look for in that log that may help.
I wish that anyone could answer that with some sort of clarity. It's an "art" I'm afraid that can't be taught, you got to stick around and learn. We try and publish our guesses (yes, guesses) so they can be discussed/tested, but it's not a known, specific procedure. :?
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

So I downloaded the driver (same as I already had), updated the driver, choose file, and it reinstalled.
Interestingly lost the start menu afterwards so rebooted.
Kicked off a VM and after logging in, up came the software rendering message.
Perhaps my graphics card is too old for cinnamon on VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:Perhaps my graphics card is too old for cinnamon on VirtualBox?
I bet you that my GPU (on my Win/Linux host) is older than yours. The GPU age has nothing to do with it. The GPU drivers being properly signed and the Windows Certificate Database being sane, have everything to do with the rejection.

That much at least should be pretty straight forward from the FAQ Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. Please read it again...
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

I think we may be going around in circles.
I have downloaded the driver from the Nvidia site - if the driver is not properly signed then I would be surprised.
I am quite prepared to accept that windows certificate database is insane but I have no idea what I can do about that.
I just run VMware player 12 and I do not get the problem. But the latest update to windows has decided that VMware 12 should no longer exist so usage of that is going to be limited hence the migration to VirtualBox.
I tried switching off anti virus. No change.

I also opened certlm.msc, searched for nvidia. There was one cert, Nvidia gamestream server, so I suspect the wrong one.
I also took a file that is error'd in the vb logs - nvldumdx.dll - and properties has a digital signature from nvidia and MS.

I am stumped
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

norricorp wrote:I am quite prepared to accept that windows certificate database is insane
norricorp wrote:I am stumped
You do realize that these statements are contradictory, right? You definitely don't seem ready to accept the fact that the WCD might be corrupt, otherwise you wouldn't be stumped...
norricorp wrote:but I have no idea what I can do about that.
Start by reading the FAQ? I haven't seen any evidence that you performed even a single one of those suggested actions to fix the system...

Try to: Bottom line is a simple concept: one of your DLLs says it's signed with ABC, but the Certificate Database says XYZ. Can't have that...
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

@Socratis, your rudeness is starting to get a bit trying.
Having read the hardening faqs several times, there seem to be 4 causes, one of which is anti-virus. And as I mentioned, I disconnected the network, switched off anti-virus and opened a VM. After logging on, up came the software rendering message. So I tried number 4 on the list.
So perhaps you need to read the post to see the evidence you ask for instead of jumping on lines to make sarcastic comments about (which looking at other issues does seem to be your speciality)
Looking at a dll blocked in the log there is a signature so that would cover number 1 on the list. As I reinstalled the driver from the nvidia that should cover number 2 on the list though I accept that nvidia may be hacked. Unlikely but anything is possible.
Which leaves number 3 and I do not know how the windows host certificate database can be checked for corruption.
I did actually run sfc a few weeks ago and it came back as OK.

I do think you have to accept that cinnamon and virtualbox are a problem simply by the sheer number of times this issue is raised and though taking the piss may offer some personal relief, it does not help users or virtualbox.
norricorp

Post by norricorp »

So taking a look at nvldumdx.dll a little closer. Looking at properties, there are two digital signatures - from nvidia and microsoft. Looking at details of the nvidia signature, is "the certificate in the signature cannot be verified" and viewing that certificate, it appears to be valid from 12/07/16 to 08/07/18.

So I will raise this with Nvidia. Except that the nvidia forum website currently shows nothing but a fashionable black page(!!!)