5.2.32 no cursor

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mauricev

5.2.32 no cursor

Post by mauricev »

At some point before version 6.0.12 on a Mac host, a CentOS 8 Linux guest doesn't display a cursor. This includes 5.2.32. Unfortunately, I can't use 6.0.12 because that is not currently compatible with the Mac.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.2.32 no cursor

Post by socratis »

mauricev wrote:Unfortunately, I can't use 6.0.12 because that is not currently compatible with the Mac.
What kind of a Mac do you have that's incompatible?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

It was a reference to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94279, where it appeared that newer versions of VirtualBox were panic'ing the Mac, but it now appears that zfs may be involved in this craash.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And? Did you uninstall ZFS after all?
mauricev wrote:a CentOS 8 Linux guest
I hadn't realized that CentOS 8 was out, I think that they're still fixing issues with 7.7! Just check the release notes for 6.0.14, last point...

I can only assume that this is the same for 5.2.34, which you might need to update to...
 Edit:  
From the 5.2.34 changelog, here are some things that might apply to your case:
  • Linux guests: VBox Guest Additions fail to compile on Red Hat/CentOS/OL 7.7 and Red Hat 8.1 Beta (bug #18917)
  • Linux guests: improve compatibility of vboxvideo.ko kernel module build logic (bug #18869)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

Uninstall ZFS? That's my storage. :roll:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And I can help you... exactly how with your physical storage issues?

I proposed that you upgrade to 5.2.34, didn't see any remarks on that...
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I will upgrade to 6.0.14 and see if that helps with the cursor. I need to reproduce the panic with keepsyms on to provide more info to the ZFS develper.