installing guest additions breaks CentOS 7.7 install

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
LMHmedchem

installing guest additions breaks CentOS 7.7 install

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

I have a CentOS 7.7 guest installed and running on vbox 5.1.14 r112924. I would like a shared folder with this, but when I installed the 5.1.14 version of guest additions, the system wouldn't boot anymore.

A search suggested that the issue may be with SElinux, but setting SElinux=0 at boot did not fix the issue. How do I go about resolving this?

I do have a flash drive working, so I could use that to move files but a shared directory would be much preferable.

LMHmedchem
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: installing guest additions breaks CentOS 7.7 install

Post by socratis »

1. CentOS 7.7 is new.
  2. VirtualBox 5.1.14 is ancient and unsupported.
Upgrade your VirtualBox installation to the latest and greatest 6.0.12 as of this writing. Try again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

Unfortunately, the host I am running on is XP 32-bit and I think that vbox 5.1.14 is the latest version that will still run on XP.

LMHmedchem
Last edited by socratis on 10. Oct 2019, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

In theory, support for XP was removed with ≥ 5.0.0, so you shouldn't be able to run 5.1.14, right? "Not supported" doesn't mean it won't run, it means if it doesn't run, you're out of luck. For example, I have a 10.9.5 OSX host, and in theory it's not supported with anything ≥ 5.2.0, but in practice it runs 6.1.0b1 just fine.

So, why don't you try something higher than 5.1.14, like 5.2.32? Find it in the older builds » 5.2.x downloads page...

You can also try the latest 5.2.x test builds...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.