Ubuntu 18.04 guest, Windows 10 host 3D acceleration problems

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
KevinM1
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Ubuntu 18.04 guest, Windows 10 host 3D acceleration problems

Post by KevinM1 »

When I try using VMSVGA with 3D Acceleration checked, I get a black screen. When I try using VboxSVGA, Cinnamon tells me that it's running in software rendering mode rather than using 3D acceleration. When checking in VboxSVGA, I get the following:

Code: Select all

$ lsmod | grep vbox
vboxvideo              36864  2
ttm                   106496  1 vboxvideo
drm_kms_helper        172032  1 vboxvideo
drm                   401408  5 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo,ttm
vboxguest             335872  4
Guest Additions are installed:

Code: Select all

$ VBoxControl -version
6.0.12r133076
My physical machine is a bit older, but it does have a GeForce GTX 660 with the latest drivers installed, so it should be able to handle 3D acceleration just fine.

I'd like to upload my logs, but the forum is telling me they're too big (each are ~167 KiB while the forum has a limit of 128). Any suggestions on where I should host them?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 guest, Windows 10 host 3D acceleration problems

Post by socratis »

KevinM1 wrote:When I try using VMSVGA with 3D Acceleration checked, I get a black screen
Just on a hunch, is your "VM Settings" » "Display" » "Screen" » "Video Memory" maxed out at 128 MB?
KevinM1 wrote:When checking in VboxSVGA, I get the following
Same here, I don't see all the kernel modules that I was expecting, because I don't believe that you have any VirtualBox Shared Folders loaded. This is what I get from my 18.04 VM:
socratis@VB-Ubuntu-1804:~$ lsmod | grep vbox
vboxsf                 77824  1
vboxvideo              36864  3
ttm                   106496  1 vboxvideo
drm_kms_helper        172032  1 vboxvideo
drm                   401408  6 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo,ttm
vboxguest             344064  7 vboxsf
socratis@VB-Ubuntu-1804:~$
KevinM1 wrote:I'd like to upload my logs, but the forum is telling me they're too big
Ever considered the "ZIP the logs" option? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KevinM1
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by KevinM1 »

Ah, yes, my video memory is maxed out at 128 MB. I'm guessing it shouldn't be.

Zipping files... what kind of new, fancy pants technology is that? :P

EDIT: I'm a bit confused by what you mean about shared folders in this context.
Attachments
Vbox_Logs.zip
(53.58 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.777745 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#0/Config/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/]
                (level 14)
Read "Snapshot basics" to get a better picture of what snapshots are, how they operate, and why it's not the greatest idea in the world to have them piling up.

Other than that, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary in your log. The only reason I could see that sort of behavior would be if your GPU drivers were rejected due to a hardening error, but I don't even see that...

Re: Shared Folders. I have an extra "vboxsf" kernel module loaded in my configuration and you don't. That's because I do in fact use a VirtualBox Shared Folder, and you don't. Expected...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.