Guest additions 6.0.12 installed but cannot do fullscreen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
htario

Guest additions 6.0.12 installed but cannot do fullscreen

Post by htario »

I installed guest additions on Ubuntu 18.04.3 guest machine. Then I made a custom build to 5.1.0. The original kernel was 5.0.0-29-generic.
The custom build contains three new system calls with updates to:

Code: Select all

kernel/sys.c
include/linux/syscalls.h
arch/x86/entry/syscalls/syscall_64.tbl
I got the 5.1.0 kernel using the following:

wget https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/linux-5.1.tar.gz
During the make I got an error:

Building the main Guest Additions 6.0.12 module for kernel 5.1.0.
Error building the module.  Build output follows.
Makefile:29: arch/x86/boot/Makefile-header.gmk: No such file or directory
Makefile:175: arch/x86/boot/Makefile-footer.gmk: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/x86/boot/Makefile-footer.gmk'.  Stop.
So I uninstalled it then reinstalled it. But it installed without showing error in terminal. Yet the fullscreen is not able to work. I can do clipboard bidirectional and copy folders bidirectional. So some parts are working but not the fullscreen. What do I do to fix this?
Last edited by htario on 2. Oct 2019, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions 6.0.12 installed but cannot do fullscreen

Post by socratis »

htario wrote:Then I updated the kernel from 5.0 to 5.1
I assume on the guest, please confirm.
htario wrote:So I uninstalled it then reinstalled it.
What's "it"?

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
htario

Post by htario »

Yes this is for the guest machine. The kernel was updated on the guest machine. I uninstalled guest additions and then reinstalled guest additions.

Log attached.
Attachments
Ubuntu 18.04.3 x64-2019-09-30-13-46-54.log.zip
Log
(29.97 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:06.230451 3DEnabled          <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:06.230457 VRamSize           <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxVGA" to "VMSVGA". Enable 3D acceleration. Increase the VRAM to the max 128 MB.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
htario

Post by htario »

Hello, I did as you asked. But it still does not work. It worked before I ran the make. Now it does not work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Funny... I have a Win10 host with a Mint 19 guest and I can't reproduce it...
htario

Post by htario »

Do you know what the error messages mean I posted earlier? I am coding the Linux Kernel and maybe the only way to get it working again is to redo everything (running make, rewriting kernel code, setting up Ubuntu vm, etc.).

The error came after running `sudo make install` or either `sudo make modules_install`.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

htario wrote:Do you know what the error messages mean I posted earlier?
No, they don't ring a bell unfortunately.
htario wrote:The error came after running `sudo make install` or either `sudo make modules_install`.
That's for the kernel? Are you building the kernel on your own? Did you try to install the GAs after installing the kernel again?
htario

Post by htario »

I updated the kernel to 5.1 but the guest additions had an error building the module. But the kernel updated to 5.1.0 even still. Then I ran the code to include a new system call. So I had to recompile to get the system call working but when I reinstalled after uninstalling guest additions, it installed successfully. But the window does not resize.
socratis wrote:That's for the kernel? Are you building the kernel on your own? Did you try to install the GAs after installing the kernel again?
I am building the kernel on my own. The make commands were to update the kernel first for 5.0 then for an implementation of a new system call for 5.1.0.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

My Mint 19 VM only goes up to:
$ uname -a
Linux VB-Mint-19 4.15.0-64-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 12 13:16:13 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I don't know too much about kernel building, but here's what I would do. Uninstall the GAs, build your kernel, install the GAs. See how that goes...
htario

Post by htario »

Yeah, I don't know why but that did not work either. I just have to create a new Ubuntu vm and do everything over again. Thank you for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

One thing that I didn't mention is that patches for kernel up to 5.4 are coming in, so there must be something funky with your specific kernel. If you do get a new VM, then I would avoid installing the GAs until your build is properly installed.

And another thing you should try is to talk to the developers at the [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/vbox-dev]#vbox-dev[/url] channel on IRC (warning: IRC link).