Cannot resize linux VM in 6.0.12 when using vmsvga graphics controller

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Toml9

Cannot resize linux VM in 6.0.12 when using vmsvga graphics controller

Post by Toml9 »

Hi,

I have an Arch Linux x64 with KDE vm running with VB guest utilities installed. The VB guest utilities features such as auto-resizing work when using the other graphic controllers, but not with vmsvga (with 3d acceleration off). The issue is very similar to the one outlined here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93668 (can't post urls, topic is on this forum) but as I said, the resizing works on the other graphic controllers and my guest utils version corresponds to the 6.0.12 VB version.

I would just use one of the other graphics controllers, however when I use those I have an issue where my cursor is invisible when turning off mouse integration and using mouse capture (this issue does not happen when using vmsvga graphic controller but does on vboxvga for instance). I need to be able to use mouse capture.

Any help in solving either of these issues is much appreciated, I just need to be able to use mouse capture in a higher resolution.

Edit: The host VM is running Windows 10 pro
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2019, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot resize linux VM in 6.0.12 when using vmsvga graphics controller

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Toml9

Post by Toml9 »

I've attached the log. I'm also not sure if the issue is related to this topic on the forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92290

I should note that virtualbox-guest-utils and dependencies were installed directly from the Arch Linux packages, however, the guest additions version in the log is lower than the version installed through the Arch Linux package manager (6.0.0 vs 6.0.12)

Thanks!
Attachments
Arch.zip
(28.08 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Toml9 wrote:I should note that virtualbox-guest-utils and dependencies were installed directly from the Arch Linux packages
Right... it seems that you have a mix of the GAs installed:
00:00:15.855112 VMMDev: Guest Log: vboxguest: host-version: 6.0.12r133076 0x8000000f
00:00:15.855143 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
Nothing good can come out of this. I would uninstall everything VBox*/VirtualBox* related from the guest and install only the GAs that come bundled (in any case) with the main program.

With the VM window having the focus, go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...". If not prompted by auto-run, run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" from the CD. Make sure there are no errors or suggestions during the install. You can safely ignore the "modprobe vboxsf" one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Amol1110011
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Kali, Ubuntu, Solaris

Post by Amol1110011 »

I thought VMSVGA does not support Virtual Box additions. I tried using oracle Solaris on my 4k laptop under the VM with VMSVGA and VboxSVGA, only VboxSVGA give the full screen. I am not sure , but I think I read somewhere that Vboxaditions only work with the adapters that are pre-fixed with "Vbox" corect me if I am wrong.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Amol1110011 wrote:but I think I read somewhere
Reference?
Amol1110011 wrote:that Vboxaditions only work with the adapters that are pre-fixed with "Vbox" corect me if I am wrong
No, you're not quite right. The Guest Additions are meant to deal with all vGPU options. It's the guest that might not use the appropriate drive, or it's best if a specific OS uses a specific driver.
Amol1110011 wrote:I tried using oracle Solaris on my 4k laptop under the VM with VMSVGA and VboxSVGA, only VboxSVGA give the full screen
For Solaris guests the suggested driver is VBoxVGA, neither VBoxSVGA nor VMSVGA.