Guest starts but no graphical display

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Steve_JJ

Guest starts but no graphical display

Post by Steve_JJ »

I have a Fedora 30 guest on Windows host.

It was working fine, but something happened and it no longer starts the graphical interface when the guest is started.

I can log in using the command line interface, so the guest is definitely running.

I have attached the VBox log file.

If I log in (using command line interface) as a non-root user and try to run "startx", I get the following error:

Code: Select all

/home/jeffreysj> startx
xauth: file /home/jeffreysj/. serverauth.1179 does not exist

X.org X Server 1.20.5
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: 5.1.16-200.fc29.x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomin 5.2.15-200.fc3Ø.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Sep 16 15:17:36 UTC 2019 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz-5.2.15-200.fc30.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root ro resume=/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora_localhost-live/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora_localhost-live/swap rhgb quiet
Build Date: 10 September 2019 05:03:01PM
Build ID: xorg-xll-server 1.20.5-7.fc30
Current version of pixman:0.38.0
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) proved, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from cormnnd line, (!!) notice, (II) informtional,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/home/jeffreysj/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Sep 24 07:47:41 2019
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
-
Last edited by socratis on 24. Sep 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest starts but no graphical display

Post by socratis »

Steve_JJ wrote:It was working fine, but something happened and it no longer starts the graphical interface when the guest is started.
1) Define "something", 2) Why do you think that this is a VirtualBox problem, and not something wrong with the guest itself?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Steve_JJ

Post by Steve_JJ »

1. By "something happened" I mean I am not sure. I tried to shutdown the linux guest 9using the fedora menu) and it didn't shutdown so I had to "power off" the VM using the Virtual Box menu option. I think the problem may have been caused by this, because the next time I tried to start the linux guest the graphical display was not working.

2. I don't know if it is a VBox or guest problem. Perhaps it is a guest issue because the guest definitely boots, just not into the graphical mode
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Steve_JJ wrote:Perhaps it is a guest issue because the guest definitely boots, just not into the graphical mode
I'm with you, I think it's a Guest issue as well, something got "corrupted" when the shutdown wasn't done properly. Something must went berserk in the guest's setup. I would approach it from that angle, i.e. trying the Fedora forums.
Steve_JJ wrote:I have attached the VBox log file.
BTW, you know that you never actually attached the VBox.log? ;)

If you want to attach it, just to make 100% sure that it's not a VirtualBox issue, please ZIP it first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
federicop

Post by federicop »

I have the same problem with Centos 7.6.
The guest OS starts but after the initial boot and splash screen I get only a black screen. Few times it starts just fine.
I didn't figure out what is the problem but if I login to the terminal (CTRL+Fx where x is a number) and reboot the guest OS, then the login screen is displayed without problems.

Did you try to reboot the machine from the command line ?
Steve_JJ

Post by Steve_JJ »

Apologies for not correctly attaching the Virtual box log file. It is now attached.

The problem might have something to do with the vboxvideo module. I have attached the Xorg.log.1 file which contains an error about this module failing to load.

There is a post that indicates this module is needed, however this post indicates that module is no longer needed.

My system does seem to have at least some of the vboxvideo files:

Code: Select all

> locate vboxvideo
/usr/lib/modules/5.0.9-301.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo
/usr/lib/modules/5.0.9-301.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/5.2.15-200.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo
/usr/lib/modules/5.2.15-200.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko.xz
/usr/lib/modules/5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo
/usr/lib/modules/5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko.xz
I have tried to reboot in console mode, but it didn't help.
Attachments
Xorg_1_log.zip
Xorg log file
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
VBox_log.zip
VBox log
(18.83 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.050982 VMSVGA3dEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:02.050982 VMSVGAEnabled      <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:02.050983 VRamSize           <integer> = 0x0000000001100000 (17 825 792, 17 MB)
Shut down the VM. Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxSVGA" to "VMSVGA". Enable 3D acceleration. Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
Steve_JJ

Post by Steve_JJ »

The GUI now seems to work correctly. The steps were:
  1. Setting the display to VBoxSVGA (I tried VMSVGA - this started the GUI but it only used a small part of the window)
  2. Increased VRAM to 128 MB (maximum amount)
  3. Enabled 3D acceleration
:D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Steve_JJ wrote:Setting the display to VBoxSVGA (I tried VMSVGA - this started the GUI but it only used a small part of the window)
Please switch to VMSVGA, the VBoxSVGA is for Windows guests ≥ Win7. Then login and change the resolution from within the guest's Display Settings, not from the host.

I'll wait for confirmation before marking this as [Solved] because right now we're at the [Workaround] status... ;)