[Resolved] Ubuntu 18 as guest loosing VPN access time to time

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Ladinek

[Resolved] Ubuntu 18 as guest loosing VPN access time to time

Post by Ladinek »

Hello,

I have following setup: Windows 10 as a host, Ubuntu 18 as guest. Network is configured:
Attached to: NAT
Adapter Type Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop
Cable Connected is checked

on Windows box I establish a VPN connection (into company)
Then I start Ubuntu from Virtual Box. Once it is started I can access servers from the VPN network (company servers) and everything works fine

However few times a day the access to the VPN is lost even if the VNP is still running properly in Windows.
I tried to restart network-manager service but it did not help.
If I restart Ubuntu itself then VPN is available again.

Also if VPN is dropped in Windows and then started again then the VPN access in Ubuntu doesn't work too and I have to reboot it.

Is there anything I can do from Ubuntu to get the VPN access again? Restart of box is annoying as I have to close all windows and then start them again ...
Last edited by socratis on 23. Oct 2019, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18 as guest loosing VPN access time to time

Post by socratis »

Ladinek wrote:However few times a day the access to the VPN is lost
Anything going on in the host, like sleeping? Anything in the host logs or in the Ubuntu logs?
Ladinek wrote:Restart of box is annoying as I have to close all windows and then start them again ...
Have you tried disconnecting/waiting/reconnecting the "cable"? You can do it really quickly from the VM status bar network icon, give it a shot...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ladinek

Post by Ladinek »

socratis wrote:Anything going on in the host, like sleeping? Anything in the host logs or in the Ubuntu logs?
No, host is running normally.
About logs, I did not check. Could you suggest where to look especially in Windows?
socratis wrote:Have you tried disconnecting/waiting/reconnecting the "cable"? You can do it really quickly from the VM status bar network icon, give it a shot...
No I did not. I will try it once I hit this problem again.
Ladinek

Post by Ladinek »

To close this issue. I did not find the reason why the VPN connection was dropping time to time.
As a workaround the trick with "unplug"+"plug" cable checkbox in settings worked.

At the end I changed the approach from NAT to bridge, installed VPN client and from that time I have no problems.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for reporting back 'Ladinek', much appreciated. 8)

Even though I'm not 100% happy with what you had to do to get it resolved (switch from NAT to Bridged), I'll mark the thread as [Resolved]. I wish we could have some logs that could pinpoint the actual cause.

You seriously got me thinking of adding another keyword for cases like that; [Workaround]...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ladinek

Re: [Resolved] Ubuntu 18 as guest loosing VPN access time to time

Post by Ladinek »

You seriously got me thinking of adding another keyword for cases like that; [Workaround]...
:lol:

Maybe I missed some general thread which describes where to access log files but I asked about it above and I did not get the answer.
If you still would like to see them we can take this discussion offline and I can switch back to NAT and send them to you once I reproduce the issue. To do that I just need to know from where I can take those logs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] Ubuntu 18 as guest loosing VPN access time to time

Post by socratis »

Ladinek wrote:where to access log files but I asked about it above and I did not get the answer
I was referring to the Windows Logs, not the VirtualBox ones. And I would start from the EventViewer.

As far as the VM logs, here's my "copy/paste" answer for cases like that:
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.