Upgraded VBox GAs to 6.0.12 low resolution, no shared folders, copy/paste

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SamH

Upgraded VBox GAs to 6.0.12 low resolution, no shared folders, copy/paste

Post by SamH »

Here we go again: I upgraded VirtualBox to new version and on my Ubuntu 18.04 host and guest VirtualBox guest additions fails to upgrade/work once again.

After the upgrade I only have a very low screen resolution on the guest system. Copy and paste between the guest and host not working, shared folders don't work and I can not mount VBox Guest Additions CD any more...

Is there somewhere a description how to revert back to old VBox Guest Additions?

Thanks.
Last edited by SamH on 20. Sep 2019, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
SamH

Re: Upgraded VBox GAs to 6.0.12 low resolution, no shared folders, copy/paste

Post by SamH »

I uninstalled 6.0.12 and installed 6.0.10 on the host. Now I can not mount VBox_GAs_6.0.10 with the following error message: Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sr0: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'
SamH

Post by SamH »

Finally up and running on 6.0.10 thanks to accepted answer here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/596998/ ... pe-iso9660
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SamH wrote:Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sr0: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'
That sounds, and it was after all, a problem with your guest, not VirtualBox.

Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SamH

Post by SamH »

No, the main problem is not solved. I tried to upgrade to 6.0.12 and guest additions failed again (look at at least three of my past reports (bugs or forum) where the same story happens when I try to upgrade VirtualBox).

So, tell me, how can I make sure upgrade will not fail and I will not lose one day or more of my life trying to get everything back working again? I am really interested what is it that I am doing wrong or what is it wrong with my system that when I try to upgrade to new version of VBox guest is not working correctly (guest additions not working: only low screen resolution, no copy paste between host and guest, no shared folders, ...)?

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 19. Sep 2019, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.