[Invalid] Problem with loading Ubuntu 18.04 (after MacOS update?)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DIYglenn

[Invalid] Problem with loading Ubuntu 18.04 (after MacOS update?)

Post by DIYglenn »

Hi!
I did several software changes to my virtual Ubuntu, none which should be breaking the install (install Apache etc).
I also installed the MacOS 10.14.6 update on the host, and after this I can't boot my virtual Ubuntu anymore!
If I revert to an earlier snapshot, I get guru meditation. If I try any of my other Ubuntu 18.04 installs which I haven't used in several weeks, they all seem to work.

So that ONE 18.04 computer won't boot for some reason. It locks up on:

Code: Select all

Btrfs loaded, crc32c=crc32c-intel
It does not continue.
It uses a lot of CPU on the host, and sometimes it freezes VirtualBox completely - until that VM is closed. This got better after changing virtual CPU's from 1 to 6 (all my cores). But still doesn't get past that "Btrfs loaded" line.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(27.09 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by socratis on 10. Sep 2019, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
DIYglenn

Re: Problem with loading Ubuntu 18.04 (after MacOS update?)

Post by DIYglenn »

After some digging, I checked the difference between GRUB on two snapshots, as I figured there could be a dependency in a package I installed that added something.

Before it had this:

ro maybe-ubiquity
But the latest snapshot (which doesn't work) had this:

ro console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 nomdmonddf nomdmonisw
Removing the two console options made it boot! But I don't know why exactly they are here?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with loading Ubuntu 18.04 (after MacOS update?)

Post by socratis »

I don't see the connection of your problem with VirtualBox, I think this is a 100% guest OS issue. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the guest OS.

Marking as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DIYglenn

Re: [Invalid] Problem with loading Ubuntu 18.04 (after MacOS update?)

Post by DIYglenn »

I figured it out:

I've installed a package which had a dependency that installed serial console.
Now that my OS suddenly expected two serial ports on the VM, it didn't boot anymore.

To fix this I had to enable two serial ports, set as user-defined and route to a raw file (tested with "/Users/<username>/VirtualBox VMs/SerialPorts/serialPort1")

This fixed the issue.

Edit:
I did after some searching find the same issue in another thread as well. The difference is that my VM was not pre-made on a different system.
Ubuntu 18.04 guest hangs during boot