[Invalid] Resizing storage won't fix "No space left on device" issue

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
xinelo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Home

[Invalid] Resizing storage won't fix "No space left on device" issue

Post by xinelo »

Dear all,

I have a bunsenlabs helium5 installation on a guest VM. I am running Virtualbox 6.

I noticed I had run out of space in the VM, when I auto-complete with tab on the command line gave me this:

Code: Select all

cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device
Then I resized the VM with code:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage modifymedium disk "C:\Users\souto\VirtualBox VMs\bl-helium5\bl-helium5.vdi" --resize 20032
After that I still needed to resize the partition with GParted, adding its ISO as a new optical drive, starting the VM from there, etc. Quite a convoluted process...

Now the X session starts again, the space issue seems fixed, except for an annoyting "start job" that delays the reboot 1 minute and a half, every time (see screenshot below or on the link https://i.imgur.com/BegKCxZ.png)
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device<br />/dev/sda1: clean, ... files, ... blocks<br />[ ...  ] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log<br />[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duui...9a40\x2d56839306eb28.device (x s / 1min 30s)
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
/dev/sda1: clean, ... files, ... blocks
[ ... ] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log
[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duui...9a40\x2d56839306eb28.device (x s / 1min 30s)
Optimized-BegKCxZ.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 6669 times

Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
/dev/sda1: clean, ... files, ... blocks
[ ...  ] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send log
[ *** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duui...9a40\x2d56839306eb28.device (x s / 1min 30s)
Is there anything I can do to get rid of this?

Thanks.
Cheers, Manuel
Last edited by socratis on 9. Sep 2019, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Resizing storage won't fix "No space left on device" issue

Post by socratis »

Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message. Plus, it's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you simply copy/paste the error text, instead of posting the image... ;)

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the guest OS.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xinelo

Post by xinelo »

Thanks Socratis.

I would have loved to copy the error or even to take a screenshot, but none of that was available, that's why I had to take a picture with my phone (added now to the post, after reducing its size to 128KB and converting it to JPG).

Thanks for your comment. So you are confirming that the messages I get (about the "start job") have nothing to do with having resized the virtual machine or with VirtualBox. You might be right, it could be related to the fact that I deleted (and recreated again) the swap partition to enlarge the machine.

Cheers, Manuel
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can only confirm that this is not a VirtualBox message, that's from your guest OS. I'm not a Linux person, so I don't know the details of what could have caused that. Maybe searching in the related Linux groups/forums?

Thanks for including the pic inline and "transcribing" it as a text.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xinelo

Post by xinelo »

Yes, it seems it was a problem with the partitions.

Here's how I fix it: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6070
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going, thanks for the feedback and the solution, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [Invalid].