[Fixed] No full screen in Arch guest after 6.0.12 Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Raspero

[Fixed] No full screen in Arch guest after 6.0.12 Guest Additions

Post by Raspero »

I upgraded to VBox 6.0.12 on an Ubuntu 16.04 host.
My virtual Ubuntu machines run fine with a full screen after 6.0.12 Guest Additions are installed.
But an Arch machine, running LXQt desktop, will not go to full screen after 6.0.12 Guest Additions are installed. I made a snapshot after upgrading to VBox 6.0.12 and before installing the Guest Additions. When I revert back to that snapshot, running 6.0.10 Guest Additions, the Arch machine popped up to full screen as before. I then re-installed Guest Additions 6.0.12 and, once again, it will not go to full screen.

Richard
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2019, 23:46, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No full screen in Arch guest after 6.0.12 Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

Raspero wrote:I then re-installed Guest Additions 6.0.12 and, once again, it will not go to full screen.
Can you post the output of the GAs installation? Full-screen may not work, but copy/paste should, so please don't post a screenshot, post the text...

According to the 6.0.12 changelog:
  • Linux guests: improve compatibility of vboxvideo.ko kernel module build logic (bug #18869)
Maybe the logic/patch broke something in your specific guest? Do you have any other guests that you could test this on? I tested it on a Mint19 and a Fedora29 and they worked great, with both VBoxVGA and VMSVGA. I still need to test it on a Manjaro guest, just downloaded "manjaro-xfce-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso" but I haven't had a chance to install it yet...

Finally, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Raspero

Post by Raspero »

I switched from the recommended VMSVGA back to VBoxVGA and it goes to full screen fine now. I run another Arch virtual machine with the Mate desktop and that goes to full screen with VBoxSGA.

Do you still want to look at the logs for your reference. It would appear that Arch does not like to run with VMSVGA after this latest upgrade.

Richard

addendum:
Now with VBoxVGA I cannot access the shared folder. It is mounted; I can find it; but I am denied access. I checked to see, and I am still a member of both vboxusers and vboxsf. Prior to installing the 6.0.12 GuestAdditions I have had full access with no problems.
I reverted to the 6.0.10 Guestadditions snapshot, which uses VMSVGA, and I once again have full access to the shared folder. I changed to the VBoxVGA and I still have full shared-folder access.
It appears that 6.0.12 GuestAdditions does not permit the use of VMSVGA in Arch.

second addendum: I have another virtual Arch machine that runs the LXDE desktop. That machine has access to the shared-folder with GuestAdditions 6.0.12 installed, so it appears that there may be something in the GA 6.0.12 upgrade that doesn't get along with LXQt.
Raspero

Post by Raspero »

I upgraded to 6.0.13 and when I upgraded the Guest Additions to 6.0.13 all began working again. It would appear that the developers are hard at work.

Richard
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Raspero wrote:Guest Additions to 6.0.13 all began working again
Marking as [Fixed] then.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.