Error Importing an Kali Linux 64 bits (32 bits WORKS!)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JennyCide

Re: Error Importing an Kali Linux 64 bits (32 bits WORKS!)

Post by JennyCide »

OK, the 64bit version on the Offensive Security site kali-linux-2019.3a-vbox-amd64.ova just worked for me (the original one didn't) so they've changed something and reposted it as 3a.
I had to restart virtualbox for it to work but seems fine now.
BenGee

Post by BenGee »

I have the same problem as all of you.

By reading all your posts, I noticed one common factor : we are all using Lenovo laptops.

I failed importing both 32-bits and 64-bits OVA. I also failed creating my own VM using the ISO. It always fails at disk formating and files copy step.

Have you also SSD drive ? I am wondering if there is not an issue with disk drivers.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

BenGee wrote: By reading all your posts, I noticed one common factor : we are all using Lenovo laptops.
I'm not sure that's a valid conclusion, I don't believe Scottgus or Fth0 for example mentioned their hardware - but I'd be surprised if either was using a laptop. I'm also not sure it should matter: it seems that there was a problem with the OVA, not with the PC it gets installed on. Also VirtualBox essentially doesn't care about host hardware.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I can confirm that I've been using an iMac15,1 desktop (macOS 10.13.6, VirtualBox 5.2.32) for testing the OVA file (although I also own a Lenovo notebook ;)).
BenGee

Post by BenGee »

As I told before, I tried importing both 32 and 64 bits OVA files. I also tried creating my own VM with both 32 and 64 bits ISO and it didn't work either.

I agree that hardware may not be the source of the problem. I just noticed that most people who encountered the problem were using Lenovo computer (thinkpad or others) not only in this thread but also in others and in other websites.

However, I made another test yesterday nigth. I imported the 64 bits OVA via torrent. I succeeded in importing this one without changing any of the defaults parameters (like the network ones for instance). I noticed a difference during the import process. When importing the web OVA, it tries import an entitled "disk2.vmdk" while not when using the torrent version. So the torrent and web OVA images look different in a way or another.
TuckerAJames2020

Error when Importing Kali Linux to VirtualBox: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)

Post by TuckerAJames2020 »

Hi there,

I have installed VirtualBox successfully on my VM (it is a Win 10 64 bit OS). I have downloaded the Kali Linux VirtualBox 64 bit image file and when I attempt to import the .ova using the default settings, I get the "Failed to import appliance. E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)" error.

I have rebooted, ran VirtualBox as admin, and even downloaded several clean copies of the .ova file. Still no luck. Any assistance would be great. Thank you!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (96.83 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error when Importing Kali Linux to VirtualBox: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)

Post by socratis »

TuckerAJames2020 wrote:I have downloaded the Kali Linux VirtualBox 64 bit image file and when I attempt to import the .ova
There was a problem with Kali OVAs in the past. Can you post the exact link? Obfuscate it if you can't and I'll fix the link.

PS. Please read my signature... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TuckerAJames2020

Re: Error when Importing Kali Linux to VirtualBox: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)

Hi there (I'm a new member so can't post URLs so I'll do by best to guide you).

I downloaded the Kali Linux from here: https://images.offensive-security.com/v ... -amd64.ova.

However, I just imported the same exact image file into a separate system using the same default settings with no issues. This leads me to believe that the import on my other VM is not being configured correctly?
Last edited by socratis on 5. Nov 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@TuckerAJames2020
I decided to merge your thread with the existing one after all. I also fixed the URL, yes your guidance was excellent! :)

You downloaded the "2019.3a" version, which is the fixed one. Also proven by the fact that it was successfully imported on another computer.

Now, I don't know what differentiates your two computers, you're the only one that has access to them. Can you check for available free space? How much did the OVA expand to (size-wise) on the computer that worked? Do you have that much available space on the one that failed?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TuckerAJames2020

Hi there, on the home desktop where the import worked successfully, there was about 40 GB of space. On the VM, there's about 8 GB of space. Could that be the problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You mean that the Host had 40 GB free HD space, and the VM occupied 8 GB of the HD?
If so, no, that's not the problem. Start looking at other differences between the two computers that you have...
Imran Inayat

Post by Imran Inayat »

here is the solution guys for windows 10
just give full permissions to the installation folder for kali linux that is the base folder and the issue will be resolved.
other than that make sure windows programs and feature disable hyper-v, disable windows sandbox, disable windows virtualization and restart the laptop or pc twice atleast.

hope it helps someone.

Regards
Imran Inayat

Post by Imran Inayat »

oh i forgot to add that the ova image i was using was kali linux 64 bit 2019.4 from offensive security webpage and the laptop is lenovo. though i was having the issue on the lenovo laptop but the above steps mentioned resolved the issue.
yoshida

Post by yoshida »

Hi,

I might have a workaround here, if Imran's solution does not work for you...

Downloaded the Kali Linux 64bit 2019.4 ova.

My pc is an old AMD Phenom, C: is 120GB SSD, D: 1TB HDD.

Import failed with the common "Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)" error, when tried to import the ova file to the C:\VM. But succeeded immediately, when tried to import it under D:\VM...

NO idea why it didn't work to SSD.

I assume I could now move the VM to C: drive, but don't care right now.

(about the full permissions solution posted by Imran, I start VirtualBox with admin rights, so it should be enough for it for the C:\VM folder. Actually a 11GB large file was created on the C:\VM during the ova immport, the error came afterwards)
Harmil

Post by Harmil »

Maybe for someone will be useful my help and solution.
I wanted to import kali-linux-2020-vbox-amd64.ova to VirtualBox but always got errors: Failed to import appliance with Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057).
Because I didn't have enough free space on C: partition, reinstalled the VirtualBox to partition D, and copied the kali-linux-2020-vbox-amd64.ova into the same folder where is VirtualBox installed. And now it's working for me. :D