Ubuntu on VirtualBox will not launch

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Onelove

Ubuntu on VirtualBox will not launch

Post by Onelove »

I recently built a new computer, X570 MSI Carbon Gaming, Ryzen 7 3800x, 64 gig ram, nvidia 2080 ti card with Windows 10 as the core OS. I built this for afew reasons but labs are a big reason. I am trying to install Linux, Debian versions, Kali and Ubuntu in vmware pro and then virtual box.

I can install the images on the PC but after that and the Linux OS goes to boot the OS will not load and I am getting the following errors with a crtl shit t. The same errors are showing up in both VMWare and Virtual Box

I have been searching online for awhile and have had no luck getting anything useful here.
I have called MSI and they just said I needed to have the VM enabled check on the options in the UEFI. I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what is going on here.

I am getting a TON of failures when I look at the boot process.

Pretty much FAILED messages for everything once I try to boot the PC. Cannot post pictures yet.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu on VirtualBox will not launch

Post by socratis »

Onelove wrote:The same errors are showing up in both VMWare and Virtual Box
Here in the VirtualBox forums we're dealing exclusively with VirtualBox errors. Which BTW, you haven't told us what they are...
Onelove wrote:I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what is going on here.
Not with the generic, sketchy information given so far. You need to tell us the exact error that you're getting if you want this discussion to have a future.
Onelove wrote:Cannot post pictures yet.
Sure you can. You can't post links, and we'd prefer it if you don't. Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

Finally, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Onelove

Post by Onelove »

I reinstalled Windows today.

I would have attached the photos but it said I needed to wait 24 hours but looks like I did not see that part.

I agree seeing the boot log would be helpful. But the FAILED errors where abit to much. I am thinking it has something to do with Nvidia drivers, but not 100% sure right now.

I am going to reinstall Ubuntu tomorrow and see if I have better luck on the fresh format. If their is still issues, which I have a feeling they are going to persist, I will be sure to get all the requested information.

Also, I was able to boot into Windows machine fine in VB, and a headless Linux, but no luck on Ubuntu and Kali. From the issue I am seeing I do not think this is an exclusive VB issue though, like I said I am thinking its a Nvidia issue, so if this forum only deals with only direct VB issues, and not support on virtual image boots, this might not be the best forum for me to get help.

Cheers though
Attachments
Failing to Launch.PNG
Failing to Launch.PNG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Onelove wrote:I agree seeing the boot log would be helpful. But the FAILED errors where abit to much
The errors are coming from your Ubuntu guest, not VirtualBox. So... re-read the instructions and post the log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LP@70.net

Post by LP@70.net »

I have a similar problem. I successfully loaded Ubuntu (54 bit) on Virtualbox on my Win10 64-bit machine. Now trying to get Ubuntu on my win7 32-bit PC.

I originally loaded VM version 6, which told me it doesn't support 32-bit system. Then installed 5.2.32, which installed OK.

Downloaded a number of versions of 32-bit Linux iso files - Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo. None of these complete the install successfully under Virtualbox. The log file attached is for an attempt with Ubuntu 16.04.6. In this case, I get a blinking cursor shortly after starting, and it freezes in this state. In a previous attempt with another virtual machine start, it froze with the Ubuntu log and the four progress dots.

Not sure if I should try a different earlier version of VirtualBox itself. May be my next step unless someone can point me in a better direction.

Thanks,
LP
Attachments
VM8-ubuntu32-2019-09-14-11-10-32.log
(104.36 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
noobmaster

Post by noobmaster »

I have a similar problem like at the top. I try the install Parrot OS (similar to Kali, both debian based, both security oriented distros).
Attachments
Logs.zip
(28.91 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (50.53 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

LP@70.net wrote:I get a blinking cursor shortly after starting, and it freezes in this state.
VBox log file wrote:00:00:29.533071 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
It probably is not freezing, but running extremly slow. Check your BIOS settings.
LP@70.net

Post by LP@70.net »

What BIOS settings should I be looking at? In hot win7 machine or in virtual machine?

LP
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The BIOS settings of your host (Windows 7). Look for something matching VT-x and/or Virtualization.

If you know the Mainboard and CPU specifications, you could search the Internet first. Depending on how old they are, it may be even possible that virtualization is impossible.