[Solved] Booting a TinyCore / CorePlus Linux Kernel

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
TonyCaps

[Solved] Booting a TinyCore / CorePlus Linux Kernel

Post by TonyCaps »

HI:: I am using Virtual box 6.0.10 with TinyCore on a windows 10 laptop and I keep getting stuck at booting the Kernel. what can I do to boot up?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 Booting the Kernel

Post by mpack »

It seems unlikely to me that you'll find much "TinyCore" expertise in the "Windows Hosts" forum. Moving you to Linux Guests.

Given that you mention it in the title I assume that you assume that the host OS is important, but it usually isn't. What matters is the expectations of the guest OS and the configuration of the VM - of which you have told us very little.
 Edit:  I just downloaded the TinyCore ISO and created a standard Linux 2.6 64bit VM for it, mounted the ISO and the guest OS booted normally (and very quickly considering that it consists of just 16MB of code). No install option that I can see. Apparantly there's a "CorePlus" build that has fancy extras such as an installer and support for non-US keyboards. 
TonyCaps

Post by TonyCaps »

I am trying to boot into Core plus. Base Mem 1024, Optical, Hard Disk is my boot order/ The CorePlus I made a live CD. 128 MB Video Memory... what info do you need? I cannot get past Booting the Kernel no matter what I do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.

Also report the exact error message.
TonyCaps

Post by TonyCaps »

I see this error:

00:00:13.926458 TM: Host/VM is not suitable for using TSC mode 'RealTscOffset', request to change TSC mode ignored.

file attached
Attachments
TinyCore-2019-08-26-09-27-07.zip
(24 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by mpack on 26. Aug 2019, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace log with zipped log.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That TSC thing looks like a warning, not an error. The VM continues for a minute after that.

Instead of selecting guest OS type "Oracle", try selecting "Linux 2.6 (64bit)" as I suggested earlier.

If you don't see a 64bit option then see FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
TonyCaps

Post by TonyCaps »

Linux 64 bit is definitely not there. I will look at the FAQ. Def does not look straight forward.
TonyCaps

Post by TonyCaps »

AWESOME!!! Virtualization in the BIOS turned off would definitely do it every time.

Thanks for the assist. Clutch.

Tony :D :D :D
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back, I'll mark the topic as solved. I'll also give the topic a more descriptive title.

For future reference it looks like TinyCore/CorePlus is 64bit only without explicitly saying so, and therefore requires VT-x/AMD-v. I assume 32bit support is one of the features discarded from this boot image in order to reduce the size.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Booting a TinyCore / CorePlus Linux Kernel

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:For future reference it looks like TinyCore/CorePlus is 64bit only
Actually it's not, it's a 32-bit OS, I used the "Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x (32-bit)" template and it launched just fine. Also, from within the TinyCore VM, I get:
$ uname -a
Linux box 4.19.10-tinycore #1999 SMP Tue Dec 18 13:36:47 UTC 2018 i686 GNU/Linux
And finally if you look at the TinyCore website, their main download is the x86 one, and they are having the x86-64 in the "Other ports" category.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.