kali 2019.3 black screen cursor blink

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
oumolayna

kali 2019.3 black screen cursor blink

Post by oumolayna »

hello guys ,
i recently installed kali linux from an ISO and it was working perfectly fine ...
i have a windows 10 1903 ... 64bit ... with vbox 6.0 ... today i was turning the kali on suddenly it didnt boot into the GUI ... the vbox windows starts maximizing and resizing on its own a few times ... than it gets stuck on a black screen with a cursor blinking ... i have no idea what could cause ... last thing i was trying to do was trying to install powershell in kali ...
i also have vbox guest additions installed.
any help please ?
P.S : i have a snapshot but its an old one ... i need to fix this one if possible ...
thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: kali 2019.3 black screen cursor blink

Post by socratis »

oumolayna wrote:i have no idea what could cause ... last thing i was trying to do was trying to install powershell in kali
Well, here's an idea, you might have broken your guest by doing something to your guest.

In any event, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Demeterious

Post by Demeterious »

Hi!
I have the exact same problem, but I have an idea of what has caused it.
I accidentally changed the default opening app of mu guest OS: Kali Linux to Acrobat reader DC, then I tried to fix it by changing the file format to a Vm ISO file (Or something along those lines, I can't locate the same file for some reason). After that day, I still can't boot into my Kali Linux Guest OS on Virtual box, even after re downloading different Kali image types and installing it on virtual box. I did that instead of fixing it the same way i accidentally changed the file type because I have no understanding of doing that.
A complete VBox log is attached.

Minimum info requirements: In the log file.

Thanks in advance :D
-Dima
Attachments
Kali-2020-01-18-12-26-38.zip
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I see nothing egregious in Demeterious's log to explain a seize-up in the guest OS. I do see this:
00:00:02.653039   NumCPUs  <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:03.409732 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
With all four host cores available for the guest, host instability could suffer one day. Rolling back to 2 cores would help prevent host instability, but core count is probably not causing this problem.
Demeterious wrote:I accidentally changed the default opening app of mu guest OS: Kali Linux to Acrobat reader DC, then I tried to fix it by changing the file format to a Vm ISO file (Or something along those lines, I can't locate the same file for some reason).
Pebcaks, especially such vaguely-reported pebcaks, are almost certainly the problem. Virtualbox cannot help solve this. Google for solutions directly with Kali, or scrap this guest and start over.
Demeterious

Post by Demeterious »

Last edited by Demeterious on 19. Jan 2020, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Demeterious

Post by Demeterious »

One last thing, can you please take a look at the second attachment of this post? Are the file types right? The amount of space it takes?
And I don't think I can find anything on google about the first picture...
Attachments
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG (56.63 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.42 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
Tommy28

Post by Tommy28 »

I have the same issue here, I have went all over the internet and found no answer, please help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@Demeterious, the icon for your Kali VDI is wrong, and it should be called "Virtual disk image", but that's not going to stop your guest from booting. You should show all extensions on your Windows host. The file sizes look reasonable. "VirtualBox Mac..." should expand to "VirtualBox Machine Definition".

I don't think that the accident with the default opener is causing your guest to not boot. Google the problem directly with Kali. Virtualbox is only the 'hardware' provider, same as if you installed Kali on a real PC. Just as Dell or Gigabyte could not help fix this, neither can Virtualbox.

@Tommy28, start a new topic. See Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
Demeterious

Post by Demeterious »

Thanks for your reply, @scottgus1 I will now head to Kali's forums instead. Again, your help has been appreciated :) :D