kernel panic not syncing fatal exception when trying to start CentOS 7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Kikuna

Re: kernel panic not syncing fatal exception when trying to start CentOS 7

Post by Kikuna »

I am in trouble with the same phenomenon.
Kernel panic occurs when VirtualBox 6.0.8 or later and CentOS 7.6.1810 installation DVD (CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso) are combined.
Kernel panic does not occur in the combination of VirtualBox 6.0.6 and CentOS 7.6.1810.
The laptop used is Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Generation (20QDCTO1WW) and the CPU is Core i7-8665U.
Attachments
2019-09-11.png
2019-09-11.png (36.08 KiB) Viewed 15289 times
paynefu

Post by paynefu »

I have the same problem with vbox 6.0.8 - 6.0.12. My laptops is ThinkPad T490 with i5-8265U.It works fine after backed to 6.0.6.
sgtrobo

Post by sgtrobo »

hate to add a 'me too' to it, but...me too.

Lenovo X1 Carbon
Virtual Box 6.0.12 r133076 Qt5.6.2
Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.356
CentOS image CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810
4096 MB RAM allocated to guest (total 16384 MB on system)
8 GB disk allocated to guest (total 512GB on system) using VDI, Dynamically allocated

edit - using Virtual Box 6.06 is working like a charm, however, with the extensions. It's installing now and we're to the GUI
Attachments
cpuz.jpg
cpuz.jpg (111.59 KiB) Viewed 15186 times
vrindger

Post by vrindger »

I'm seeing this bizarre behavior in my laptop too. I've got the Windows Version = "10.0.17134.1006". It works on my colleagues machine who has 10.0.17134.858.

6.0.6 works but 6.0.8+ and 5.2.30+ don't work to load even the ISO for 7.6.1810.

Is there a reason found around this? I'm not sure which version of Virtualbox to pick for our deployments. It would be good to know atleast a root cause to make a decision around the best compatible version with Centos 7.6.1810
JacenBoy
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, FreeBSD, Linux

Post by JacenBoy »

I've had this issue, as well as an unrelated issue with a different OS. I tried applying the solution from the other issue to the kernel panic and that seemed to fix the issue.

Solution was:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --spec-ctrl on
(where <vmname> is the name of you virtual machine)

I do think the issue is CPU related because upgrading from an i7-4770 to an i7-9700 is when I started having issues.
Filip

Post by Filip »

Hi @all,

this is a nice workaround :) but not realy if you use Vagrant to dynamicly generate VMs. I've the same issue on a Lenovo T490 (Windows 10 Build 17763, Virtualbox 6.0.14, CPU i7 8660U).
On my secundary notebook (T480 Windows 10 Build 17763, Virtualbox 6.0.14, CPU i7 8650U) it works with VirtualBox 6.0.14, this is strange.
It works with VirtualBox 6.0.6 but I cannot use this old stuff for the next years.

Is this problem known by the developers? I cannot find any bugticket for this.

Kind Regards
Filip
vishal pokala

unable to install centos 7 on VM it gives kernel panic - not syncing : fatal exception error

Post by vishal pokala »

I am trying to move my VM from one PC to another one. I have exported and tried to import it in my new PC, but it is giving kernel panic error. I tried to install new centos that give the same error.

I am using Lenovo L490 with windows 10 os. i5 8th gen processor 16 GB ram. hardware virtualization is enabled. Hyper-V is disabled. virtual box version 6.0.14

I am attaching the logs. please let me know if any additional information is required and how to resolve this issue.
vmerror.jpg
vmerror.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
Attachments
Logs.zip
(55.7 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by vishal pokala on 18. Oct 2019, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JacenBoy wrote:I do think the issue is CPU related because upgrading from an i7-4770 to an i7-9700 is when I started having issues.
Interesting! Do you happen to have logs from both of these so I can see what's different in the CPU capabilities?
Filip wrote:but not realy if you use Vagrant to dynamicly generate VMs
Talk to Vagrant, it's not really supported here...
vishal pokala wrote:please let me know if any additional information is required and how to resolve this issue.
I merged your post with the existing thread that deals with the issue. Can you try the following workaround proposed by 'JacenBoy', by executing the following command?
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "CentOS 7" --spec-ctrl on
PS. Next time that you upload a picture, I don't want to see your whole Desktop, just crop the image to the Area of Interest. And don't go directly to Full-screen mode if you haven't even installed the OS yet, there's absolutely no point in doing that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vishal pokala

Post by vishal pokala »

VBoxManage modifyvm "CentOS 7" --spec-ctrl on
the above command worked like a charm. I am able to load the os now. Thanks, guys.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for confirming 'vishal pokala'...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
coloboxp

Post by coloboxp »

New version out there, might fix the issue... https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.0#v14

I cannot test now, as I cannot risk VMs on my machine not working the following days, but I'll test later on.
cgymoose

Post by cgymoose »

FYI, 6.0.14 does not fix the issue for me. :(
cgymoose

Post by cgymoose »

--spec-ctrl on|off: Enables and disables the exposure of speculation control interfaces to the guest, provided they are available on the host. Depending on the host CPU and workload, enabling speculation control may significantly reduce performance.
Does anyone have some insight with respect to the performance impact of using the --spec-ctrl on workaround vs running an older 6.0.6 version of VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

cgymoose wrote:Does anyone have some insight with respect to the performance impact
Can't say that I've seen something in these forums. But... you could try it and see what the impact is. And if you could let the rest of us know it would be really appreciated.

You could also search the webs, I expect that there would be comparative results out there as well...
John Tang

kernel panic windows 10/RHEL 7.6

Post by John Tang »

I couldn't start my RHEL 7.6 on windows 10 today after windows update in the morning. Then I realized the "Windows Hypervisor Platform" has been disabled. So I enabled it. But then I got kernel panic. I tried to boot from the RHEL installation iso, and I got the kernel panic as well.

I have tried Virtualbox 6.0.10, 6.0.14, and got the same kernel panic.

Attached are the information when booting from iso

I really appreciate if anybody can help.
John
Attachments
logs.zip
vm logs
(41.83 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
consol snapshot
consol snapshot
kernel_panic.png (32.26 KiB) Viewed 15002 times