[Resolved] Ubuntu 18.04 guest breaks after Ubuntu update, problem with 19.04

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jmcollins

[Resolved] Ubuntu 18.04 guest breaks after Ubuntu update, problem with 19.04

Post by jmcollins »

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on a Xeon platform, lots of memory and processors.

I have a further 18.04 VM on VB 6.0.4 (I am doing this as I wanted to run a package - Manager Accounting - which uses "Mono" and I don't want all that stuff on my host machine).

It was running fine up until yesterday, when the guest VM prompted me about Ubuntu updates. Forgetting the time-honoured "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule I agreed but since then it has stopped working altogether. The guest VM starts up but seems to loop round about producing a login screen but short of actually doing it.

I tried making another 18.04 VM "from scratch" and that worked fine. Then when I put in the updates it broke again in just the same way. I suppose the answer is to be selective about which updates to install until I find the culprit

I managed to extract the accounts files from the original guest, and then tried making a 19.04 guest and got the accounts working again (phe!)

I notice, however, that if I try to install the guest additions, the install fails with the following message in /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c: In function ‘sf_read_super_aux’:
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: error: ‘MS_REMOUNT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘DT_RELCOUNT’?
  if (flags & MS_REMOUNT) {
              ^~~~~~~~~~
              DT_RELCOUNT
/tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.c:235:14: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:286: /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1605: _module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:106: vboxsf] Error 2
19.04 uses Linux 5.0 which may be part of the problem.

I don't think that matters as I've got the accounts running and that's the only thing I want the VM for.

I'd be grateful for any advice you may have.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jul 2019, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 guest breaks after Ubuntu update, problem with 19.04

Post by socratis »

jmcollins wrote:I have a further 18.04 VM on VB 6.0.4
If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 6.0.8. If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmcollins

Post by jmcollins »

That's funny, I ran "check for updates" from the Manager GUI before my original post and it said I was running the latest version - and it still says that.

I'll try that and get back to you.
jmcollins

Post by jmcollins »

OK done that upgrading to 6.0.8 and the problem with 19.04 goes away so I can install guest additions OK.

I still have the same problems with the 18.04 VMs though - can't get to login screen. It's just blank with no list of users to log in.

Looks like some part of the Ubuntu updates has broken it although not on the host. Life is too short for me to worry about what right now but I'll send the VM to anyone who wants to look at it.

Anyway we can do what I want with the 19.04 VM and I've managed to restore the accounts files.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jmcollins wrote:OK done that upgrading to 6.0.8 and the problem with 19.04 goes away so I can install guest additions OK.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
jmcollins wrote:I still have the same problems with the 18.04 VMs though - can't get to login screen
I have an Ubuntu 18.04 VM, and I just did a complete update. Everything is working fine here. If you still want to talk about it, please open a new thread specific to your 18.04 problems, since this one is resolved. And don't forget the ZIPPED VBox.log for that VM's complete run.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.