[Solved] Trouble Running Guest Only For Netgear Wireless Adapter

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Tuppo

[Solved] Trouble Running Guest Only For Netgear Wireless Adapter

Post by Tuppo »

I am running Linux Mint as a guest on Windows 7 Premium Home, and since Windows 7 will not be supported in January, I want to run the host offline while having the guest remain online. I have been able to create this scenario with a Gigabit USB Ethernet adapter but not with a Netgear USB wireless adapter, because, in the latter case, the guest won't go online independently of the host.

I see nowhere in which I can choose the Netgear device under USB Device filters, but I do see the wired adapter in that list when it's plugged in. Any ideas?

Thank you
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jul 2019, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble Running Guest Only For Netgear Wireless Adapter

Post by socratis »

Tuppo wrote:I see nowhere in which I can choose the Netgear device under USB Device filters
What about the output of the command
  • 
    cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
    VBoxManage list usbhost
when run while the Netgear WiFi-to-USB is plugged in? It's a possibility that your host grabs the device and won't let VirtualBox see it.
Tuppo wrote:in the latter case, the guest won't go online independently of the host
So your host uses that device to connect as well? There might be a solution to this by removing all the networking bindings for that adapter, except the VirtualBox NDIS part.
Tuppo wrote:but I do see the wired adapter in that list when it's plugged in
I'm not sure I understand that part. Are you referring to the Ethernet-to-USB adapter?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

socratis wrote:I'm not sure I understand that part. Are you referring to the Ethernet-to-USB adapter?
Yes, I'm referring to the Ethernet-to-USB adapter. I think you are right that the host is grabbing the device, but I'm not very technical and have limited experience with Linux Mint, so if there's a work-around through the guest I may not be capable of comprehending instructions.

I think I got a bit too ambitious for my level of experience for this VM project. :-)
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

I have a feeling this is what you were talking about: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1020359

I tried it. Perhaps I de-selected more than I should. I de-selected all the protocols as well as Client for Microsoft for Microsoft Networks, QoS Package Scheduler, and File and Printer Sharing, but I kept VirtualBox NDIS6 Networking Driver selected, but still guest went offline with the host. Please advise.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would prefer it if you had linked to something from the VirtualBox forums, like: ... but the idea is the same, yes.
Tuppo wrote:I kept VirtualBox NDIS6 Networking Driver selected, but still guest went offline with the host
Was the guest able to get an IP before deselecting those options? Does the same procedure work if you use the Ethernet-to-USB option?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

Yes, the guest was able to get an IP address before deselecting but not after. The Ethernet-to-USB option test provides no useful information, since the VM recognizes that device.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Jun 2019, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tuppo wrote:The Ethernet-to-USB option test provides no useful information, since the VM recognizes that device.
Are you talking about capturing the device in your VM? Using either a filter or the menu Devices » USB? Because that's a completely different technique.

How are you trying to access the network? Via USB capturing, or via Bridged networking?
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

Let's forget what I'm doing, because it's not working, and why don't you instruct me the best way to proceed to get a guest-only wireless connection with my wireless adapter?

What I've noted is that all my host adapters as well as the USB Ethernet adapter appear in that USB filter options but not this Netgear device, so with that information maybe we can come up with something.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I asked you for this, never got it:
socratis wrote:What about the output of the command
  • 
    cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
    VBoxManage list usbhost
when run while the Netgear WiFi-to-USB is plugged in? It's a possibility that your host grabs the device and won't let VirtualBox see it.
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

Is that a terminal command for Linux?
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

All right, since I don't know much about this stuff, I didn't know if it was a LInux command, so I tried, and it didn't work. Therefore, I went to the DOS prompt in Windows and was able to get what you are after. It's best you assume I'm an idiot if we are going to get anywhere. :-):

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nancy>cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage list usbhost
Host USB Devices:

UUID:               1e1bbc5e-fbf2-418d-aa0a-a62a1c3c39b1
VendorId:           0x2222 (2222)
ProductId:          0x2520 (2520)
Revision:           34.81 (3481)
Port:               1
USB version/speed:  1/Low
Manufacturer:       MacAlly
Product:            Macally USB Mini Optical Mouse
Address:            {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}\0046
Current State:      Busy

UUID:               e5fc1cfd-3d74-4b33-adbf-72bb0de5c2e1
VendorId:           0x1130 (1130)
ProductId:          0x1620 (1620)
Revision:           1.64 (0164)
Port:               4
USB version/speed:  1/Full
Manufacturer:       Tenx Technology, Inc.
Product:            USB  AUDIO
Address:            {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0071

UUID:               786b1601-fdc4-43e6-be31-2d497a567139
VendorId:           0x0930 (0930)
ProductId:          0x0225 (0225)
Revision:           1.18 (0118)
Port:               6
USB version/speed:  2/Full
Manufacturer:       Broadcom Corp
Product:            BCM43142A0
SerialNumber:       28C2DD04AF4C
Address:            \\?\usb#vid_80ee&pid_cafe#28c2dd04af4c#{00873fdf-cafe-80ee-a
a5e-00c04fb1720b}
Current State:      Captured

UUID:               5c5eeff5-68f3-4a08-b430-597d6f68e4a5
VendorId:           0x0846 (0846)
ProductId:          0x9052 (9052)
Revision:           2.0 (0200)
Port:               2
USB version/speed:  2/High
Manufacturer:       Realtek
Product:            802.11ac WLAN Adapter
SerialNumber:       00e04c000001
Address:            {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0023

UUID:               4b4ee2f0-2015-4cd5-8776-2a2f244c35d1
VendorId:           0x06e6 (06E6)
ProductId:          0xc200 (C200)
Revision:           0.5 (0005)
Port:               4
USB version/speed:  1/Full
Manufacturer:       TigerJet Network, Inc.
Product:            USB Internet Phone by TigerJet
SerialNumber:       A113200107C4C1
Address:            {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0040

UUID:               ea74aef6-a1bc-4cc3-993f-1a54750e00af
VendorId:           0x04f2 (04F2)
ProductId:          0xb446 (B446)
Revision:           39.8 (3908)
Port:               7
USB version/speed:  2/High
Manufacturer:       Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Product:            TOSHIBA Web Camera - HD
Address:            {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0017

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>
Last edited by socratis on 29. Jun 2019, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that you should run those commands in a Command Prompt on your host. mea culpa.

I see a device, with VendorID:ProductID of 0x0846:0x9052. In the USB database, this is listed as a "Netgear:A6100 AC600 DB Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8811AU]". And in the command that you entered it shows up as a "Realtec 802.11ac WLAN Adapter". Maybe there's some confusion in the name, and what you were expecting to see as Netgear, shows up instead as Realtec? Can you try and grab that device in your guest?
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

When I capture it, the host and the guest go offline, and the adapter disappears from the Network Connections list on Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think it's high time that we see a log. And the VM recipe...

I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Tuppo

Post by Tuppo »

I zipped both files, but the forum will not upload the log file, because it's too big.

As far as the .vbox file, the closest file I could find with that extension is Linux Mint.vbox-prev, and the forum will not accept a file with that extension. :?