[Resolved] Unable to mount shared files

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sent

[Resolved] Unable to mount shared files

Post by sent »

Host Windows 10
guest parrot os

two user account root and user
root can access folder and files , no problem

user can't access the file , it can view the folder . text file opening in nano but not working in Pluma(sandboxed or root) can't access It's show an error
Could not open the file /media/sf_G_DRIVE/new_doc.txt.
You do not have the permissions necessary to open the file.
and open a video file in vlc
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///media/sf_G_DRIVE/Learn/Ethical%20Hacking/penetration-testing-with-kali-linux-demo.mp4'. Check the log for details.

-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
filesystem error: cannot open file /media/sf_G_DRIVE/Learn/Ethical Hacking/penetration-testing-with-kali-linux-demo.mp4 (Permission denied)
sudo adduser user vboxsf
sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf user

tried not working.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jul 2019, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to mount shared files

Post by socratis »

This is clearly an issue where your user is not part of the right group. Did you reboot after adding yourself to the 'vboxsf' group? Did you verify it with the 'id' command? What do the permissions of the VBoxSF look like?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sent

Post by sent »

rebooted

id user : 147(vboxsf)

sudo nano /etc/group
vboxsf:x:147:user
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

First of all, when I'm asking for the output of a command, give me the output of the command, not what you think I need to see.

Second, "vboxsf=147"? That's a weird one, I don't think I've seen 'vboxsf' having any other value except '999'. Something tells me that the GAs are not installed properly, or aren't the official ones.

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sent

Post by sent »

virtualbox guest additions not properly installed then, it working on root without any problem.

Now its working
created new user
usermod -aG sudo newuser

visudo

/etc/sudoers

root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
newuser ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

id user : 147(vboxsf)
still this value doesn't change to 999,
any way thanks.
Attachments
Parrot Os-2019-06-24-07-28-21.zip