Rename mount point directory?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
abcdefgh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 20.3 Mate

Rename mount point directory?

Post by abcdefgh »

Hello, All.
I managed to create a VHD and attach it to a Mint guest into which I've un-tarred the Palemoon browser. The mount point is
/media/mark/88c55591-ccd9-422c-8d91-0d23bc2bc353
Can I change the mount point to something that's not so tedious, such as
/media/mark/palemoon

'88c55591-ccd9-422c-8d91-0d23bc2bc353' is a UUID and those sometimes are magic, so I endeavor to be cautious. This forum is the place for cautious people like me who don't want to dive until they know how deep the water is.

This topic was not found in the User Manual.

With Regards, and Thanks, Mark.
I'm actually markfilipak (which somehow became 'markfilipak2', then 'abcdefgh'). I've been here since 15 Jul 2012 but lost my name during the great shift to SSO (single sign-on) during 2017, and have not been able to recover it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Rename mount point directory?

Post by socratis »

If you're using automount and you're in VirtualBox ≥ 6.0.0, you can define the mount point in the Shared Folder preferences. From ch. 4.3.2 Automatic Mounting:
When automatic mounting is enabled for a shared folder, the Guest Additions service will mount it for you automatically. For Windows or OS/2, a preferred drive letter can also be specified. For Linux or Oracle Solaris, a mount point directory can also be specified.
If you're using manual mounting, then it's up to you and the proper arguments of the 'mount' command.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.