[Resolved] Mint/Cinnamon can't see two monitors

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
leonardopereira
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Re: Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Post by leonardopereira »

socratis wrote:Why you should worry with getting it working first, and then we can deal with the 2nd monitor. Shall we?
Hello @socratis

It took me a long time to get back to this thread. Remembering, I recreated a VM and, finally, it started with 3D acceleration successfully. And I did not even have to downgrade NVIDIA drivers.

It remains to know why this VM does not open on two monitors, as I usually work. Could you help me with that? I'll send you the attached LOG.

Thank you so much again.
Attachments
Mint_x64_RW-2019-05-15-10-40-58.zip
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:04.623989 VMMDev: SetVideoModeHint: Got a video mode hint (1920x975x32)@(0x0),(1;0) at 0
00:00:04.624021 VMMDev: SetVideoModeHint: Got a video mode hint (640x480x0)@(0x0),(0;0) at 1
I see the two screens for your guest. Maybe you should configure the 2nd screen from within your guest.
00:00:03.117764 3DEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
I thought that we already discussed this...

PS. For future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leonardopereira

socratis wrote:For future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log.
I've attached a new log so you can check it out if it's not upsetting. As you can see, this time I left 3D enabled. This is no longer a problem for me. Now all that is left is to make the two monitors appear.

Thank you again.
Attachments
Mint_x64_RW-2019-05-20-10-12-49.zip
(29.83 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The complete shut down was for future reference. I saw whatever I wanted to see from the incomplete log.

And that was that you do have 2 virtual screens. The only thing now is to configure them from within your guest. Could you tell me the name in the title bar of your VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leonardopereira

The VM title bar is: "Mint_x64_RW [Executando] - Oracle VM VirtualBox: 1".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leonardopereira wrote:"Mint_x64_RW [Executando] - Oracle VM VirtualBox: 1"
You see that ": 1" part? That means Window/Screen1. There is a Window/Screen2 somewhere, perhaps behind your 1st screen?

Go to the host's "View" menu and try to see what's there. Do you have a "Virtual Screen 1" and a "Virtual Screen 2"?
leonardopereira

You killed the charade. Look at the attached image.

I was taken to error, because whenever I chose 2 monitors, both automatically opened. But this time the second monitor was disabled I do not know why.

Good, thank goodness. Everything is OK now. I would like to thank you for all the help since the beginning of this thread. Big hug.
Attachments
VBox VM two screens.png
VBox VM two screens.png (120.26 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Mint/Cinnamon can't see two monitors

Post by socratis »

leonardopereira wrote:Everything is OK now
Finally! ;)
I split the related posts from the original thread. I should have done that long ago. Anyway, marking as [Resolved].