[Resolved] Mint/Cinnamon can't see two monitors

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
leonardopereira
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

[Resolved] Mint/Cinnamon can't see two monitors

Post by leonardopereira »

ModEdit: Topic split from "Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode", since we started talking about 2 monitors, not the software rendering mode
leonardopereira wrote:Here...
@socratis Take advantage and see in this LOG if the cause appears because I can not use two monitors, please. Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2019, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Post by andyp73 »

leonardopereira wrote:Take advantage and see in this LOG if the cause appears
The most striking thing from your log file is many entries that look like:
VBox.log wrote:
00:01:00.383065 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 
\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
00:01:00.383189 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
00:01:00.383477 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
Searching for the highlighted term in the forums should give you some hits on other posts that detail how to fix it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's right, a hardening problem in the NVidia drivers.

Read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues to understand the reason why the NVidia drivers are being rejected. And when they're rejected, that means no 3D acceleration, that means "software rendering mode"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leonardopereira

socratis wrote:That's right, a hardening problem in the NVidia drivers.

Read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues to understand the reason why the NVidia drivers are being rejected. And when they're rejected, that means no 3D acceleration, that means "software rendering mode"...
@socratis I followed the above recommendations but my VM continues to open only with a single monitor. And I still can not use 3D acceleration, which causes 'black screen'. I am attaching the VBoxHardening.zip file. The 3D acceleration problem is old for me, but failing to open more on two monitors is a new problem. Ever seen that happen?
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(23.48 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@leonardopereira,
One of the reasons that we make the FAQs is so that the users will read and learn from them. So, for example the FAQ talks about the first thing to check being the "ExitCode", and in your case:
17f0.222c: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 2575886 ms, the end);
which is a GoodThing™, because it seems that you don't have a hardening error. Other keywords that we search for are "rejected", "adversaries" and "error". You seem to be doing fine on all of these. So, it seems that the hardening error in your Nvidia drivers is no more.

Which means that we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs. Try with a single monitor first:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leonardopereira

leonardopereira wrote:Here...
@socratis I had already submitted this LOG six days ago. But I'll send it again if you see something different. Thank you again.
Attachments
Mint_x64_RW-2019-02-27-11-20-08.zip
(28.41 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Accelerated graphics does not seem to be enabled in the VM settings.
00:00:03.236791 [/Devices/vga/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:03.236792 3DEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
And just to anticipate another potential misunderstanding: 2D acceleration is not enabled either, but that's fine since it only applies to Windows guests.
leonardopereira

Sorry... I'll send the log again
Attachments
Mint_x64_RW-2019-02-27-12-10-47.zip
(33.49 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Feb 2019, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

00:02:04.541128 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 
\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
00:02:04.541342 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
00:02:04.541587 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
00:02:04.541636 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
00:02:04.866137 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 
\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvd3dumx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\nvd3dumx.dll
00:02:04.866193 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvd3dumx.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
Parts of the host Nvidia drivers are being rejected because of a hardening error. Without them the 3D acceleration isn't going to work and you probably end up in software rendering mode. You should try updating the drivers to see if the latest ones are signed properly and to make sure that the Windows certificate database gets updated correctly.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leonardopereira wrote:Sorry... I'll send the log again
@leonardopereira
As I've already explained, you don't have to waste your time sending the logs and then waiting for an answer. You had this exact same error, and Andy was kind enough to provide you with pointers, "what to look for".

So, you should start looking at the VBox.log yourself for these "strings". If you find them, that's not a good sign. And if specific advice is given (install fresh GPU drivers), I think it would be wise if you followed such advice. I didn't see any attempt to install fresh drivers, or downgrade to an older version, until the "supR3Hardened" errors go away. Did you try that?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm now assuming that the only reason we got a hardening log with no hardening errors in it, was that it too was captured from a session in which 3D acceleration was disabled. All very misleading.

So to reiterate the likely solution:
  1. Update your host's graphics drivers.
  2. Enable 3D acceleration in the guest and launch the VM.
  3. If you continue to have problems then look at the logs: if you continue to see the aforementioned hardening errors then drivers still include unsigned modules, so look for yet another version. Happily NVidia, while being the most persistent offender in the "forgetting to sign their DLLs" stakes, also IMHO have the easiest online database of downloadable driver versions.
leonardopereira

My English is not very good so I have some difficulty understanding what you say. I sent the LOG because I understood that you were requesting it, because you certainly know how to interpret it much better than I do.

So this is a problem with NVidia drivers. I'll try to update them and then I'll give you a return, okay?

Thank you for the patience.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leonardopereira wrote:I sent the LOG because I understood that you were requesting it, because you certainly know how to interpret it much better than I do.
Sure... sure... I just offered you a way to "speed" things up ;)
leonardopereira wrote:I'll try to update them and then I'll give you a return, okay?
Yes. But remember one thing; you may have to downgrade sometimes. The latest does not mean the best...
leonardopereira

@socratis Should this procedure also solve the problem of the two monitors or are they different problems? Is that in VBox 5.x I used two monitors without problems.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Why you should worry with getting it working first, and then we can deal with the 2nd monitor. Shall we?