NEED Docker containers to rwx onto VirtualBox shared folders

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Alex32803

NEED Docker containers to rwx onto VirtualBox shared folders

Post by Alex32803 »

Scenario:
• I have a USB drive connected to the host (Windows 8.1) computer with 5 folders.
• The guest (Ubuntu Desktop 18.04) has the same 5 folders under /mnt/<dirs>.
• Via VB, I have the shared folders mount-automatically onto each of the 5 folders on the guest. I am able to rwx from the host and guest onto them folders (sudo usermod -aG vboxsf ubuntu)

Situation:
• I am running Docker containers on my guest. The containers need to rwx onto them shared folders. I am not able to as I am getting permissions denied. My PGID/PUID is set to 1000/1000.
• The shared folders are showing as: drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Apr 16 22:04 Temp
• I have tried: sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 Temp /mnt/Temp
  • That mounts the drive when I don't have it as 'Auto Mount' on the settings screen, and it will give me the drwxrwxrwx on the folders, but still the container will not write into that folder. I did notice the container still download the test ubuntu.iso file onto a /proc/ type folder, which only after rebooting and not having the folders mounted, the /mnt/Temp will have the ubuntu-19.04.iso within.
• I have tried: sudo chmod -R 777 * and it maintain drwxrwx---
• I have tried: sudo chown -hR ubuntu:ubuntu * and it maintains root:vboxsf
• I have tried: sudo chown -hR root:ubuntu * and it maintains root:vboxsf
  • Just can't get the Deluge container, which has the volumes: - /mnt/Downloads:/downloads and I have the settings on Deluge going to Downloads: /downloads which is the same folder. I am sure I have correct settings, as I have the same exact setup on an Ubuntu Desktop native system; I am trying to move it to a VB
Question:
How can I make it so the containers can rwx onto the shared folders?

Thanks in advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NEED Docker containers to rwx onto VirtualBox shared folders

Post by socratis »

We deal with VirtualBox here, not Docker. Maybe you should ask them.

Docker is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences, especially the networking part. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Docker support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Docker), then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alex32803

Re: NEED Docker containers to rwx onto VirtualBox shared folders

Post by Alex32803 »

Thank you for your response
Last edited by socratis on 20. Apr 2019, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.