running android-x86 8.1

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: running android-x86 8.1

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just out of curiosity I just tried installing Android-x86 8.1 Oreo from an ISO. It all went perfectly, no hitches at all. Even better, it turns out that Android-x86 has added a VirtWiFi device which emulates a WiFi connection when only Ethernet is available - this makes for a far smoother experience than last time I tried this.

Most of the online guides seem pretty ludicrous, e.g. enabling 3D acceleration (no GAs for Android, so this is pointless), or selecting a 32bit ISO and then giving the VM 4GB RAM. Or enabling the "Live CD" option in storage and then installing to a hard disk. And this same nonsense seems to get copied from blog to blog with no fact checking.

My main settings:

ISO download: https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86-old.html
Name: Android 8.1 (rename to your choice)
OS type: Linux
OS version: Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (64bit)
RAM: 2048MB
Display memory: 128MB.
Storage: Dynamic VDI (32GB).
Network: bridged.
Intel HD Audio (not tested yet).
Graphics Controller: VBoxVGA (others not tested yet)(No acceleration boxes ticked).
USB3 enabled.

For some reason the ISO hides the easiest installation option. Choose Advanced from the boot screen and then choose "Auto-Install to hard disk" from the next screen. After installation you can unmount the ISO.
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Is there a way to disable the invalid settings crap

Post by squall leonhart »

Android VM's are typically setup to use Linux - Other, and none of them can boot past a blackscreen with cursor when the VMSVGA controller is used

The conundrum is you can't select anything except this controller because Oracle nanny state wants to tell you what controller you want to use.

How do you turn it off?
squall leonhart

Now do it again with Virtualbox 6.1, you won't be able to boot it beyond a blinking cursor after the grub screen because somebody at Oracle decided in their infinite lack of wisdom to force-tie the graphics controller to the type of VM you are setting up.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Dec 2019, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Is there a way to disable the invalid settings crap

Post by scottgus1 »

squall leonhart wrote:invalid settings crap...Oracle nanny state
I am installing and theoretically running Android x86-64 now. Never done it before, I don't know how long it takes to install, but I got a shimmering stylized 'android', then this. Something's running:
android wifi scanning.png
android wifi scanning.png (27.76 KiB) Viewed 30711 times
I don't think I'd want to follow the setup further, but those graphics look definitely android-ish.
Here's my settings, pulled from Mpack's post, but modified to VboxVGA video controller and Linux Other template:
android x86-64 modified video.png
android x86-64 modified video.png (119.08 KiB) Viewed 30711 times
As you can see, version 6.1.0, VboxVGA video, running Android x86. After closing the guest, removing the ISO and restarting, the guest showed the grub loader, and went on to show the shimmering 'android' and the Wifi selector with the VirtWifi selection. Good enough for this test.

I see nothing to indicate I was forced to use VMSVGA. I changed it to VboxVGA. That was the default card, because it's Linux, and that's the card the developers designed for Linux.

FWIW Android is not a supported guest, and when one starts typing 'Android' into the New Guest Wizard, the guest template dropdown does not change to match the name being typed. So we have to pick Linux Other 32 or 64 bit or Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (32bit) or Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (64bit), and Linux defaults to VMSVGA. I was able to choose differently.

I see nothing "crappy" or "nanny-state-ish" about this. Unnecessary inflammatory expressions, where a calm peaceful question could have been asked.
squall leonhart wrote:you can't select anything except this controller
Can you please post a screenshot or some other evidence that you are not able to change the video controller?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

squall leonhart wrote:somebody at Oracle decided in their infinite lack of wisdom to force-tie the graphics controller to the type of VM you are setting up.
See your "crap" "nanny-state" post for further info.

[ModEdit; the two threads have now been merged]
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Is there a way to disable the invalid settings crap

Post by socratis »

If you are going to be using that tone/language/attitude like you're a 14-year old, then let me try to explain it to you like you're an 14-year old: you have no idea what you're talking about.

Who exactly is preventing you to change the virtual GPU (vGPU)? Did you even try to? Did you get scared by the warning, is that it?

Let me explain to you the basics here... The "VBoxVGA+3D" was a big-time security problem. So, the "3D" part in "VBoxVGA+3D" was removed, leaving only "VBoxVGA". At the same time two more vGPUs were introduced; VBoxSVGA and VMSVGA. The former for Win≥7 Guests, the latter for Linux Guests. And when you are selecting an invalid combination of Guest/vGPU, you get a warning. Sometimes the settings are changing as well, for example if you enable "VBoxVGA+3D", the vGPU is going to change (to either VBoxSVGA or VMSVGA), because that combination is ... invalid.

Now, back to your specific example... You want to use VBoxVGA for your Guest? Be my guest (pun intended). Just don't enable 3D and ignore the warning (did you even read it?):
[quote=""Invalid settings detected""]The virtual machine is configured to use a graphics controller other than the recommended one (%1).
Please consider switching unless you have a reason to keep the currently selected graphics controller.[/quote]
That doesn't sound too much of a "nanny state" now, does it? When is under "your consideration" and all...

BTW, moving this from "Windows Hosts" to "Linux Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
squall leonhart

Socratis, you're an absolute apologist for anything oracle does, you need to stop brown nosing and use your brain for a change.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Do you see that box in red? That box in red means any time you click "Ok" it will change it from VboxSVGA (the only one that works) to VMSVGA,
scottgus1 wrote:
I see nothing to indicate I was forced to use VMSVGA. I changed it to VboxVGA. That was the default card, because it's Linux, and that's the card the developers designed for Linux.

FWIW Android is not a supported guest, and when one starts typing 'Android' into the New Guest Wizard, the guest template dropdown does not change to match the name being typed. So we have to pick Linux Other 32 or 64 bit or Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (32bit) or Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (64bit), and Linux defaults to VMSVGA. I was able to choose differently.

I see nothing "crappy" or "nanny-state-ish" about this. Unnecessary inflammatory expressions, where a calm peaceful question could have been asked.

Can you please post a screenshot or some other evidence that you are not able to change the video controller?
It is irrelevant if "Oracle" doesn't support Android, the Android X86 developers can implement 3D Acceleration at any time, but the Virtualbox Client in its nanny state wisdom has no business overriding MY machine settings.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. You've been around long enough to know better; attach the images locally.
  2. Did you actually try to change the vGPU to VBoxVGA as suggested by both 'scottgus1' and myself? No, you didn't... You're just stuck in the VMSVGA mode and you keep on complaining! :roll:
  3. "Brown nosing"? Seriously? One more message like that and you're out. For good! Your attitude/tone and the personal insults will make it a lot easier actually. You should have already been issued at least a 2-week cooling-off period, but I'll give you a second chance...

Actually you already have a warning, I'd be extra careful if I were you. I don't really care how long you've been registered, or how many posts you have; rules are rules.
squall leonhart wrote:but the Virtualbox Client in its nanny state wisdom has no business overriding MY machine settings.
Yes it has. Yes it has been altering the Settings for years and years. If you're not competent enough to choose the appropriate combination, and you're trying to purposely(?) break the VM Settings, VirtualBox will step in and prevent you to shoot yourself in the foot.
squall leonhart wrote:use your brain for a change
:roll:
VirtualBox-web

Can't run Android right

Post by VirtualBox-web »

Hello to everybody! I have an almost-new desktop PC, featuring Windows 10 v.1903, SSD disk as system disk, 8 GB of RAM, AMD processor.

I got quite sucess emulating Fedora and Linux Lite, but I don't know what's wrong in this status that blocks me from run the Android 8 (OREO) .ISO.

Just can display the options of main screen the ISO brings (Live CD, installation, Debug Mode, etc.) but after I get no sucess with any of the alternatives.

I tried configuring 2 VM like "Other Linux", one with 32-bits and another with 64-bits and ... nothing :(
I have VirtualBox 6 installed

Thx in advance!! :?:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

'VirtualBox-web',
I merged your thread with the prominent one on the issue. Please read it from the beginning...
warbler

Post by warbler »

Sorry about necromancing my post from last year, but I still have the same problem - despite following tutorials on the net, the most recent one being "How to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on VirtualBox?" https://www.tactig.com/install-android- ... ualbox-pc/, I fail to successfully run Android in VirtualBox.

I'm using VirtualBox Version 6.0.20 r137117 (Qt5.6.2 in Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit). My system is an older pc, AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor, 16Gb RAM. The video card is a PowerColor HD6750 1GB DDR3. I've made working VMs of Linux Mint, Ubuntu and LinuxLite.

Following the steps in the tutorial above, my screen just stops at root@x86:/ # (screenshot attached).
This has been the same pattern for the other versions of Android I've tried installing. I've tried both ISO files from android-x86.org and two ready-made VDI files from 3rd parties. My attempts using an ISO file seem to stop at the same point -- root@x86:/ # The VDI file got further, meaning that the screen cleared, but then remained clear - no activity I could see.

Literally, how much time should I give Android to start running for the first time in VirtualBox - 1 minute, 5 minutes, 30 minutes? It could be that I'm not waiting long enough for it, but none of the tutorials mention how long it to allow for the very first time.

I'm OK with trying to use command prompts to troubleshoot, but my experience using them in an Android/Linux environment is extremely limited, much less understanding software specific diagnostic messages.

I'm only coming back to this because I would really like to use some apps that don't seem to be available for use in Windows, only on Android.

John

P.S.: sorry about the screenshot. IDK why it's so big, it's only about 60k
Attachments
VMscreenshot
VMscreenshot
VMscreenshot.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 29220 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

My android tests took just a few minutes to get to the shimmering Android and the blue screens. Few more minutes to fully load. I followed Mpack's recipe above.I think one time I got stuck on the text-only bootup screen. I restarted and the install went through.

FWIW I found 8 to be more stable in a guest than 9, and neither were stable over time in serving as an app-running platform. (my purpose in trying Android was to get Whatsapp so I could see my daughters' stream) I ended up just getting a used Android phone.

Re the large screenshot, you probably have a 4K monitor. Opening in a picture-editing software and resizing by 50% should shrink the screenshot to forum-suitable size.
warbler

Post by warbler »

scottgus1 wrote:My android tests took just a few minutes to get to the shimmering Android and the blue screens. Few more minutes to fully load. I followed Mpack's recipe above.I think one time I got stuck on the text-only bootup screen. I restarted and the install went through.
-- snipped --
Thanks. Still no luck here. I tried creating two Android 8.1 VMs (64-bit) using the 64-bit versions of the Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x and Other 64-bit linux. I followed the steps outlined in How to Install Android on Windows 10 With VirtualBox per lifewire.com
https://www.lifewire.com/install-androi ... er-2202092 and used the settings Mpack described in his early post in this thread. The first stages after starting the VMs looked promising, but after 20+ minutes, the screen was still blank so I quit. I feel pretty snake-bit at the moment because I can see and read the success stories of all those others and because I was able to make VMs of Linux Mint, Ubuntu and what's called LinuxLite. It feels like I'm getting forced into a corner, that if I want to run android on a pc, then I'll have to dedicate a pc or laptop for it. Not what I really want to do and seems like such a waste of my hardware.

If/when I need to post more screenshots, I'll try to remember the advice about shrinking it. That was perhaps the third screenshot I've posted on-line and I don't recall them being so large from previous times.
John
sylencecc

Post by sylencecc »

Hi,

same problem here.
I'm running VirtualBox on Gentoo and can't get Android running inside a VM. I tried most of the 64bit Android x86 VDIs from osboxes (dot) org (at least Android 6 to 9), but all of them behave like others described already in this thread: Initial boot process seems to work, resolution changes, then a blinking cursor followed by a black screen refresh, follow by a blinking cursor etc.

So far I tried all the settings recommendations I found: Different OS flavors ("Other Linux", "Linux 2.6" etc.), all those graphic controllers (VBoxVGA, VBoxSVGA, VMSVGA) with and without 3D accell, various amounts of RAM and CPU cores, disabling the UTC hardware clock, setting the pointing device to a PS/2 mouse and different audio controllers. I tried both VirtualBox 5.2 and (currently) 6.1.6, no difference. VT-X is enabled, other VMs work.

The newer images, Android 8 and 9, sometimes fell back to a debugging prompt where "lastlog" did show that the "surfaceflinger" process was segfaulting in a loop while doing stuff in "gallium_dri". So yeah, something related to graphics. Any advice? Do these images work for you?