running android-x86 8.1

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: running android-x86 8.1

Post by towo2099 »

Any advice?
Really? Use qemu, there it is working without Problem (virtio-gpu as grphics adapter) with hardware accelerated graphics.
warbler

Post by warbler »

Really? Use qemu, there it is working without Problem (virtio-gpu as grphics adapter) with hardware accelerated graphics.
OP here. I'm not familiar with qemu or with emulators to begin with; the closest I've ever gotten to them was using DOSBox for games ported to run in DOSBox.

What are the benefits and costs (not money) to using qemu instead of VirtualBox? I really like the idea behind VirtualBox - that you can work with multiple OSs in an isolated (sandboxed?) environment and play around with s/w that might otherwise cause a disaster if run directly on your pc. Does qemu offer that same protection - isolated from the pc on which it is running? Will files be kept isolated from those of the host pc? Will apps designed to run on Android run using qemu? How resource intensive is it? My pc for example is an older build (AMD Athlon II 440 CPU) with a (now) low end graphics card. It's starting to show its age but not to the point where I would replace it.

John
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Um. This is not the QEMU support forum, nor does that discussion match the subject of this topic. If you want to have an off topic discussion, best do it by PM, or on a QEMU discussion forum.
sylencecc

Post by sylencecc »

Update: After fiddling around with KVM and observing very similar behaviour, I finally figured out that 32 bit (i686) builds of android-x86 run just fine. Since logcat is full of crash reports for various programs and libraries that aren't directly related to each other, I'm now fairly certain that the problem is that my CPU is just too old: SSE4.2 is required for x86_64 builds of Android. My aging Core2Quad doesn't support that.

32 bit android-x86 builds now run fine in both VirtualBox as well as QEMU/KVM.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

sylencecc wrote:SSE4.2 is required for x86_64 builds of Android. My aging Core2Quad doesn't support that.
That's an interesting insight, very specific. Certainly backwards compatibility to older hardware has never been a hallmark of Android.
fced

Post by fced »

Hello, I have the same problem, I am using Virtualbox 6.1, and after i installed Android (tried 14.1, 8.1, 9.0) the install went perfectly, but when i boot android i found a console ...
Screenshots here : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104045&p=506641#p506641
Any help please ?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I already referred you to a post that gave a detailed recipe. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92683&start=15#p464073.

I suggest that you stick to that. You can try other Android versions later.
fced

Post by fced »

Hello, i went into trouble installing Android on Virtualbox 6.1, but i found a nice youtube user which provided the correct settings.
But, because there is always a but; as soon as i launch Android 9.0 x64 to configure it and VirtualBox capture my trackpad, it start to lag terribly... In this condition, it is not usable... I don't understand, I am using a Macbook PRO 16" i9 (late 2019) + 16Go ram, and even if I set Virtual machine RAM to 12GO + vram to 256Mo, Android is ridiculously lagging...
Any idea please ?
dmac

Post by dmac »

@mpack
Have you tried this with virtualbox 6.1? I followed your directions the best I could and all went smooth until I tried to access the internet. Would you have an suggestions on how to get the internet working?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Perhaps this answers your question.
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (127.33 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
The nice thing about that Android 8.1 distro is that it includes a virtual WiFi feature, which eliminated all of the problems associated with trying to get Android to use an Ethernet connection.