Question on VPN's

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
oofda

Question on VPN's

Post by oofda »

Hello all,

I have a question on VPN's. I am running Windows 10 Host with a VPN setting to lets say the Bay Area in CA. My Guest is Linux with a VPN setting lets say overseas somewhere. It is the same VPN service.

The question I have, is my Linux Guest VPN'ing straight overseas or is it going to the Bay Area in CA first then going overseas? Would my network essentially use 2 VPN's when I am surfing from my Linux Guest?

The reason I do this is to compartmentalize my browsing. The browser I use in the Windows 10 host is only used for websites that have a login. The browser I use in the Linux guest is only used for all of my general surfing and is set to be very anonymous with pretty much zero tracking from an overseas location.

Thank you for your expertise as this is a little over my head.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Question on VPN's

Post by mpack »

Is the guest using NAT or bridged networking?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't know too much about VPN, but if your guest uses Bridged mode (what 'mpack' asked), then I believe that it's going to get its own, independent IP from your LAN's DHCP server, and all traffic from/to the guest would be independent from that of the host, i.e. it would not use the host's VPN connection.
oofda wrote:Would my network essentially use 2 VPN's when I am surfing from my Linux Guest?
Based on the above, I'd say "Yes", you'd need one VPN connection for your host and one VPN connection for your guest.
oofda wrote:Thank you for your expertise as this is a little over my head.
Same here! :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, that's why I asked. If the guest is using bridged then it should be two independent connections, since VPN is a TCP layer protocol, bridging happens at the lower ethernet level.

If NAT is used then my expectation is that it's impossible to make two independant VPN connections. You either share the host connection or it doesn't work at all (probably the latter).