[WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Crashk1d

[WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by Crashk1d »

Recently my mobo died and I lost my raid 0 root volume so and I decided to go from Windows 8 to 10 when getting the board replaced.

I can't for the life of me get my linux VM's in a usable state. I decided to just create fresh VM's since most of my data is stored on my NAS anyways. I normally run Ubuntu Mate. After much pain I finally got the guest additions working, desktop resizing working, shared clipboard and shared folders all working. But everything is real sluggish. I dumbed down window animations and all the useless clutter but it just feels very clunky and certainly not something I can use for development.

So then I tried Xubuntu, another flavor I've run in the past w/o issues. Couldn't even get the guest additions to work. Never could get desktop resizing to work. It was also sluggish. Then I tried vanilla Ubuntu and one of the other lessor known ones - same issue. Couldn't get desktop resizing to work.

I am trying both the version that vitrualbox bundles and the Debian packages for virtual box.

Are there some recommended settings I should be using now? This is a very high-end system. 128GB memory. Raid 0 SSD-based volume that does up to 560MB/sec. 12 core proc. Nvidia 1080Ti video board. Now running Windows 10 Pro.

Tried allocating VM as much as 32GB memory. 6 cores. Nada.

Anyone running Ubuntu 18.x in virtual box and Windows 10?
Last edited by socratis on 4. Apr 2019, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Crashk1d

Re: Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by Crashk1d »

socratis wrote:We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
Ended up going back to VMware workstation. Everything is working fine. Finally done with virtual box. It's been going downhill in a hurry. RIP
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Marking as [WorksForMe], where "Me" is thousands and thousand, hundreds of thousands if not millions, of users...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Two comments after the last one didn't belong here, moved to the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators", starting at page 16: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8888&p=445471#p445465

Locking this.