[Invalid] Debian 10 (buster) Copy paste not working (#18511)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Debian 10 (buster) Copy paste not working (#18511)

Post by socratis »

I was editing me message to say that I'll go with the debian-buster-DI-alpha5-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso one, but I'll download your firmware-buster-DI-alpha5-amd64-i386-netinst.iso version too and test it as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Federico M.

Post by Federico M. »

socratis wrote:When you installed the GAs in the guest... that part, the terminal output. You can reinstall the GAs if you want and grab that output.
You know I cannot copy, but I can attach a screenshot... :D
Attachments
Capture-2.jpg
Capture-2.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
Federico M.

Post by Federico M. »

You should check my video: it is better than words (and maybe you can understand the problem just watching it).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I did check your video! And it has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox!!!

It's not a question of Copy/Paste (C/P) not working with VirtualBox, that would mean that C/P doesn't work between host and guest. You can't even C/P inside your guest!!! :o

There's something fundamentally wrong not being able to C/P within the guest. And it's not VirtualBox, I can guarantee you that much.

Did you have that problem even before installing the GAs?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Federico M.

Post by Federico M. »

socratis wrote:There's something fundamentally wrong not being able to C/P within the guest. And it's not VirtualBox, I can guarantee you that much.
Did you have that problem even before installing the GAs?
I never said that I believe it is a problem due to Virtualbox... maybe yes, maybe not. I simply do not know. :roll:

And yes, I have the issue also without GAs (I said that before).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Federico M. wrote:And yes, I have the issue also without GAs (I said that before).
Then this is clearly not a VirtualBox issue, but a Debian issue. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Federico M.

Post by Federico M. »

I plan to install it on a plain PC, to verify that it is not related to VB.

Thanks for your support.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just tested the "debian-buster-DI-alpha5-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso", since I had already downloaded it ;)
No problems found. BTW, it *does* come with its own, pre-installed version of the GAs:
00:00:09.928661 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r68940 '5.2.0'
C/P was working inside the VM, and because of that pre-existing GAs, between host and guest.

I'm going to try the one that you have and see what happens...
Federico M.

Post by Federico M. »

Federico M. wrote:I plan to install it on a plain PC, to verify that it is not related to VB.
I wanted to try installing Debian Buster on a plain PC, but for my old i386 laptop there is no kernel available.

I created a topic in the Debian forum as well: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141424
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I tested both ISO. Couldn't reproduce it. Something is not right with your way of testing, but this is not VirtualBox doing it. Just as in the ticket, marking this as [Invalid].
Federico M.

Re: [Invalid] Debian 10 (buster) Copy paste not working (#18511)

Post by Federico M. »

I will try to figure out with some people in the Debian forum.
Thank you for your help.