Can't install guest additions.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kemperhills

Can't install guest additions.

Post by kemperhills »

The host OS is W7 pro x64. I have Ubuntu 18.04 install as guest. When I try to install guest additions I get the following message: "This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules. Please install the gcc make perl packages from you distribution."

I have no idea what this is or how to do it. Could someone help me solve this problem. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't install guest additions.

Post by socratis »

This is an Ubuntu question, but what you usually need in a fresh 18.04 installation is:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc make perl
Are you sure you want the headers? They're installed by default, that's why I'm asking...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

socratis, I just want to get the guest additions installed. First time to have this problem, don't know what I am doing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try the following commands from within your guest, and then try to reinstall the Guest Additions:
  • 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc make perl linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts". Search around that area as well, do your homework...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

socratis wrote:Try the following commands from within your guest, and then try to reinstall the Guest Additions:
  • 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc make perl linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts". Search around that area as well, do your homework...
Search around that area as well, do your homework...

Thanks socratis, as far are doing my homework I never post until I have done everything in my limited research ability to find the answer. I went to many article that gave commands, gave solution, etc. and, to this point, nothing has worked. I will try you suggestion and see what happens. Again, thanks for the reply.