[WorksForMe] Raspberry (Debian) Guest additions not working for file sharing, screen resize

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

[WorksForMe] Raspberry (Debian) Guest additions not working for file sharing, screen resize

Postby lroussea » 20. Mar 2019, 13:34

Despite several troubleshooting attempts, I can't use features like file sharing, Virtual screen resize (greyed-out), and copy/paste between Virtualbox host & guest. I tryied to follow all guidelines I could find in various forums:
- I configured Virtual Box for file sharing + bidirectional clipboard + bidir drag&drop
- I got no error message when installing Guest additions (see attached screenshot) and did a system restart after this.
VirtualBoxVM_kMnJZBirhV.jpg
Guest additions installation - screenshot
VirtualBoxVM_kMnJZBirhV.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 600 times

- no error message when trying to mount the shared folder, although this does not work

I use VirtualBox Version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2) on a Windows10 host, and created a Linux VM based on Raspberry Pi Desktop (raspberry 4.9.0-8-amd64 Debian 4.9.144-3.1)

I attach here the VBox.log file (.zip) for reference:
Raspberry Pi-2019-03-20-11-24-54.zip
VBox.log file
(28.53 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Mar 2019, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
lroussea

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Raspberry Pi Desktop (raspberry 4.9.0-8-amd64 Debian 4.9.144-3.1)

Re: Raspberry (Debian) Guest additions not working for file sharing, screen resize

Postby socratis » 20. Mar 2019, 17:55

lroussea wrote:created a Linux VM based on Raspberry Pi Desktop (raspberry 4.9.0-8-amd64 Debian 4.9.144-3.1)
Is that the one from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/? If I get the ISO, it's called "2018-11-26-rpd-x86-stretch.iso". Are you talking about this?

lroussea wrote:I can't use features like ...
Is the client a text-only mode one? A CLI one? Without an X server running/used? If that's the case, you can forget all about the guest additions, they're useless in a non-X based system. Except maybe the shared folders, haven't tried that part. But D'n'D, Screen Resizing, C/P will not work for sure.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Raspberry (Debian) Guest additions not working for file sharing, screen resize

Postby lroussea » 20. Mar 2019, 19:03

socratis wrote:If I get the ISO, it's called "2018-11-26-rpd-x86-stretch.iso". Are you talking about this?

Yes, this is the Raspberry Pi Desktop ISO I used, from that website indeed.

socratis wrote: Is the client a text-only mode one? A CLI one? Without an X server running/used? If that's the case, you can forget all about the guest additions, they're useless in a non-X based system. Except maybe the shared folders, haven't tried that part. But D'n'D, Screen Resizing, C/P will not work for sure.

Not text-only, it is based on Raspbian PIXEL (Pi Improved Xwindws Environment, Lightweight) GUI environment, see attached screenshot. It's small - 640x480 size, so virtual screen resizing is really a must. I read in some websites such resizing is possible by installing Guest additions, but it didn't work for me.
VirtualBoxVM_oPg9l8V1TF.jpg
Raspbian PIXEL (Pi Improved Xwindws Environment, Lightweight) GUI
VirtualBoxVM_oPg9l8V1TF.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 581 times
lroussea

Postby socratis » 21. Mar 2019, 07:31

00:00:02.321932 Guest OS type: 'Debian_64'
If you downloaded the same "2018-11-26-rpd-x86-stretch.iso" you should choose the 32-bit option, not the 64-bit. On the other hand, I see from your screenshot a lot of "4.9.0-8-amd64", so make sure that you have the correct ISO for the correct template.

00:00:02.349524 EnablePAE <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
When I was booting, I noticed that the system was saying:
Loading Linux 4.9.0-8-686-pae ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
I'd suggest that you enable PAE for the VM in the VM Settings » System » Processor » Enable PAE/NX » Enabled.

But I had no problem with the GAs. None at all. There's a fundamental problem with the guest OS, in that there's no provision to change the resolution from within the guest, which is the way that I prefer to do things; don't surprise the guest.

So, I changed the resolution from 800x600 after the reboot with the menu View » Virtual Screen 1 » Resize to 1366x768, and I had to click somewhere, do something to make the resolution change register, but it did. And here's the run-time information from the menu File » Session Information, before and after the GAs:
Before
Screen Resolution: 640x480x32 @0,0
VM Uptime: 0d 00:01:25
Clipboard Mode: Bidirectional
Drag and Drop Mode: Bidirectional
VM Execution Engine: VT-x/AMD-V
Nested Paging: Active
Unrestricted Execution: Active
Paravirtualization Interface: KVM
Guest Additions: Not Detected
Guest OS Type: Debian (32-bit)
Remote Desktop Server Port: Not Available:

After
Screen Resolution: 1376x879 @0,0
Guest Additions: 6.0.4 r128413

Results:
  • Screen resizing working from the View menu.
  • Copy/Paste fine bidirectional.
  • DnD although set to bidirectional was working only from Host to Guest. :?
  • Shared Folders worked, as the SF showed in the desktop and in the /media folder, after I added "pi" to the "vboxsf" group.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby lroussea » 21. Mar 2019, 16:22

@socratis: Thanks a lot, problem solved now :D after reinstalling with 32-bit option (64 was my mistake) + enabling PAE per your suggestion.
My DnD only works one way (the other way round) from Guest to Host, but this is no problem as I could solve the main issues I had (screen resize + file sharing)
Thank you again!
lroussea

Postby socratis » 21. Mar 2019, 16:51

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator

Return to Linux Guests