[Resolved] VMSVGA 3D acceleration in Arch Linux guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
gpanders

[Resolved] VMSVGA 3D acceleration in Arch Linux guest

Post by gpanders »

Hi all.

First of all, thanks for all the support you guys provide. It is much appreciated.

I am on Virtualbox 6.0.4 (r128413) on a 64-bit Arch Linux guest with 16 GB of virtual RAM and 128 MB of video memory. I have the extension pack installed (using the Arch packages virtualbox-guest-utils and virtualbox-guest-modules-arch).

According to another forum post (I cannot link to it since this is my first post) I should be seeing the following output from glxinfo:

Code: Select all

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;
However, what I in fact see is:

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)
I also have the following in my Xorg.0.log:

[     6.131] (II) vmware(0): Initialized VMWARE_CTRL extension version 0.2
[     6.145] (WW) vmware(0): Failed to initialize Gallium3D Xa. No render acceleration available.
[     6.145] (WW) vmware(0): Skipped initialization of direct rendering due to lack of render acceleration.
[     6.145] (--) vmware(0): Render acceleration is disabled.
[     6.145] (==) vmware(0): Rendercheck mode is disabled.
[     6.145] (--) vmware(0): Direct rendering (DRI2 3D) is disabled.
[     6.145] (--) vmware(0): Direct rendering (DRI3 3D) is disabled.
[     6.145] (==) vmware(0): Backing store enabled
[     6.145] (==) vmware(0): Silken mouse disabled
[     6.146] (==) vmware(0): DPMS enabled
[     6.147] (II) vmware(0): No 3D acceleration. Not setting up textured video.
[     6.147] (WW) vmware(0): Disabling Xv because no adapters could be initialized.
What do I need to do to get the native VMSVGA acceleration working?

Attached is my VBox.log file.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VBox.log
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Last edited by socratis on 28. Mar 2019, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: VMSVGA 3D acceleration in Arch Linux guest

Post by towo2099 »

Which mesa version you have installed?
gpanders

Post by gpanders »

towo2099 wrote:Which mesa version you have installed?
18.3.4-1

$ sudo pacman -Qs mesa
local/mesa 18.3.4-1
      An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:06.226255 VirtualBox VM 6.0.4 r128413 win.amd64 (Jan 25 2019 18:13:23) release log
00:00:22.037381 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r68940 '5.2.0'
The VMSVGA option didn't exist before 6.0.0, so I would not expect the 5.2.0 GAs to support the option.

Read the v6 release discussions, as these include discussion of the usability of the new graphics chipset options.
gpanders

Post by gpanders »

That is bizarre, as I installed the guest additions from the Arch Linux repository which reports that it is indeed version 6.0.4

$ sudo pacman -Qs virtualbox
local/virtualbox-guest-modules-arch 6.0.4-14
      Virtualbox guest kernel modules for Arch Kernel
local/virtualbox-guest-utils 6.0.4-4
      VirutalBox Guest userspace utilities
I have been using this VM since before version 6 was released, so is it possible that there is an old version of the guest additions lingering around somewhere? And if so, how would I go about removing it? There is nothing VirtualBox related installed under /opt.

UPDATE: I uninstalled the guest additions from the Arch repository and installed them manually from the ISO. Looking at the VBox.log file still shows "Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r68940 '5.2.0'"
Last edited by socratis on 20. Mar 2019, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The log file does not lie, so either you are not updating the GAs, or you are looking at the wrong log.
gpanders

Post by gpanders »

The most recent Guest Additions were not compiling on kernel version 5.0.2 so I applied the patches listed here and was able to get them to compile. My log file now shows Guest Additions 6.0.4 in addition to

VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x1 -> 0x5) seamless: yes, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: yes
(new log file is attached).

However, glxinfo is still reporting llvmpipe.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Updated log file with Guest Additions 6.0.4
(25.64 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:05.908726 File system of 'F:\Downloads\VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.0.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
Please do *not* download the GAs ISO separately. They are bundled with the main program, for a good reason actually; so that users don't install the wrong version. Always use the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image...".
00:00:05.911638 File system of 'F:\Virtual Machines\Arch\Arch.vmdk' is ntfs
Why a VMDK and not the native VDI?
00:00:06.272228   CustomVideoMode1 <string>  = "2560x1440x24" (cb=13)
00:00:06.272228   CustomVideoModes <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Why a CustomVideoMode? Not anything really uncommon, just wondering...
00:00:06.567198 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting
	'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Entrust\ESP\eecacertfind64.dll' (C:\Program
	Files\Common Files\Entrust\ESP\eecacertfind64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
00:00:07.874437 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting
	'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_8fb89903819807e0\nvldumdx.dll'
	(C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_8fb89903819807e0\nvldumdx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
You seem to have a hardening problem, and the most important of that seems to be that your Nvidia drivers are being rejected! Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. You should update your Nvidia drivers to make sure that their signatures match what's in the Windows Certificate Database.
00:00:26.483018 VMMDev: Guest Log: vboxguest: host-version: 6.0.4r128413 0x80000007
00:00:26.483136 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r68940 '5.2.0'
And yet again you have *not* updated the Guest Additions. Most probably because you were using that "Downloads" ISO...

You have two problems on your hand; 1) the Nvidia drivers are being rejected because of hardening, so there's no chance in seven kingdoms that you're going to get 3D acceleration, 2) you have the wrong GAs version installed.

Finally, when we want to see a log, it needs to be as simple as possible; start the VM, login, observe the problem, shut it down. We can't wade through CD insertions, updates, restarts, etc. And most importantly, shut down the VM before grabbing and ZIPPING the log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gpanders

Post by gpanders »

socratis wrote:Please do *not* download the GAs ISO separately. They are bundled with the main program, for a good reason actually; so that users don't install the wrong version. Always use the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image...".
I did indeed use the Devices > Insert GAs CD image to install the GAs. However, I did download the 5.2.0 version in an attempt to cleanly uninstall any remnant of that version from my VM. Like I said above, I was confused why that version was showing up in my log file at all. I downloaded them, installed them, uninstalled them and then re-installed the 6.0.4 version. That is why that line is in my log.
Why a VMDK and not the native VDI?
I have a VMware license through work and wanted to maintain flexibility. As far as I know there is no performance penalty for using VMDK.
Why a CustomVideoMode? Not anything really uncommon, just wondering...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi ... resolution
You seem to have a hardening problem, and the most important of that seems to be that your Nvidia drivers are being rejected! Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. You should update your Nvidia drivers to make sure that their signatures match what's in the Windows Certificate Database.
I will read through that FAQ and pursue this path and report back with any other questions. Thanks.
And yet again you have *not* updated the Guest Additions. Most probably because you were using that "Downloads" ISO...
Finally, when we want to see a log, it needs to be as simple as possible; start the VM, login, observe the problem, shut it down. We can't wade through CD insertions, updates, restarts, etc. And most importantly, shut down the VM before grabbing and ZIPPING the log.
These two issues are likely linked. In the course of my testing I installed and uninstalled the GA's both from the ISO (using the Devices > Insert GAs CD Image option) and from the virtualbox-guest-utils package in the Arch Linux repository. It appears that the ArchLinux repo verison reports that the GAs are version 5.2.0, which is a bug. That is why 5.2.0 appears in my logs, not because I installed them from the Downloads ISO. Because I attached a log from such a long session, you saw all of these different versions in there. I will be sure to only send minimal logs in the future, apologies for making you wade through all of the bloat.
gpanders

Post by gpanders »

Updating the NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website seems to have resolved the issue. I no longer see the message in my log rejecting the NVIDIA DLL, and glxinfo now reports SVGA3D for the renderer string.

Thanks very much for your help mpack and socratis.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.