Guest addition do no install on Xubuntu 18.04

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
janpeter
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04

Guest addition do no install on Xubuntu 18.04

Post by janpeter »

Hi,
I downloaded a ready made VM with some software under Xubuntu from Ubuntu 18.04.
When I want to install guest additions the disc is mounted but the installation does not start.
I open the disc but not clear to me how to start the installation manually.
Appreciate some help.

(I run VBox 5.2.26 under macOS 10.13.6 and I have used Vbox many years and mainly for Windows with little problems and I think never a problem like this one).
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest addition do no install on Xubuntu 18.04

Post by socratis »

janpeter wrote:a ready made VM
Then you need to ask them what they've done, no? Most probably they disabled Autorun.
janpeter wrote:I open the disc but not clear to me how to start the installation manually.
How about reading the User Manual? 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux

(Hint: 4.2.2.1#3)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
janpeter

Post by janpeter »

Thanks for the reading tip!
How about enabling autorun of the Guest Addition disc?

I have had both Ubuntu and Fedora for a couple of years
and had less problem with autorun and guest additions there.
Therefore I think more practical to have autorun going
on this new VM.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

janpeter wrote:How about enabling autorun of the Guest Addition disc?
Unless we are talking at cross-purposes, what happens when media is inserted into the virtual optical drive (autorun or otherwise) is entirely down to the configuration of the guest operating system.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yep. If a disabled autorun could be overridden by changing the content of the CD, what exactly did the "disable" accomplish?
janpeter

Post by janpeter »

Well, there Is likely some reason why this VM I have downloaded have auto-run disabled.
Perhaps some extra security measure - and I will ask them on their forum.

The purpose for me is simply to run piece of software and have it sort of reasonably isolated
from everything else and I do not want to take the long burden to install it directly on my machine,
until I feel it is worthwhile. So people in my situation prefer to download av VM (or alternative user Docker).

You can perhaps inform me if disabling autorun is an import "security" measure - or why people do this?

And I would appreciate if could in my VM of Xubuntu change this setting so that auto-run is enabled and
a choice of mine.

After all we upgrade VBox 5-7 times a year and every time guest additions should be updated and
I really want to have a smooth process, as I have for Windows 10, Fedora and Ubuntu...

Thanks
janpeter

Post by janpeter »

I learnt from other sources how to manually start the guest addition disc. You do as follows:

1) Mount the guest additions disc - and when it does not start do:
2) Open terminal
3) Move in the file system to where the guest addition disc is and put your self on the disc
4) In the terminal enter: sh autorun.sh - and the hit return

Then the installation proceeds!

Simple!
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Or you can skip the "autorun.sh", follow the manual like I told you, and run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" directly. Simpler... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.