Slow graphics in Virtuabox 5 under Windows for Linux guests

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jlchiappa1967

Slow graphics in Virtuabox 5 under Windows for Linux guests

Post by jlchiappa1967 »

Hi : in my notebook (Dell Inspiron 15RSE, running Windows 8.1 64-bits) I run with total success some VMs with Windows 10, Linux 6 (RH, OEL, CentOS), but all my newer VMs running more recent Linux distros (Ubuntu 18, RH 7, OEL 7) , all present sluggish performance in any GUI program : Oracle Developer, dbca, Firefox, you name it...
I tried to install the most recent Guest Additions, raised the video memory to the maximum 128 MB, tried to run with and without 3D and 2D Acceleration, to no avail... Anyone can make some suggestions for this issue ?

Regards,

J. Chiappa
saliya

Re: Slow graphics in Virtuabox 5 under Windows for Linux guests

Post by saliya »

try changing the "graphics controller" in your vm to "VMSVGA", i left 3D acceleration ON.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

@saliya - the options for VMSVGA didn't become readily available (i.e. selectable through the VirtualBox Manager until VirtualBox 6.0.0). The subject clearly states that the OP is using VirtualBox 5 but we don't know which of the 5.x.x versions.

If not already at 5.2.26 then I would suggest trying that or upgrading to 6.0.4. If upgrading to the latter then the results with the VMSVGA vGPU have been mixed and so sticking with the old VBoxVGA vGPU might be better. The next step whichever way the OP goes is probably to post a VBox.log file so that we can see if there is anything logged there that might be causing the issue.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.