Understanding the vboxvideo difference between linux-image-extra-virtual virtualbox-guest-dkms

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ZieQ

Understanding the vboxvideo difference between linux-image-extra-virtual virtualbox-guest-dkms

Post by ZieQ »

Hi,

I'm trying to build a Ubuntu "Desktop" VM with guest additions installed with apt (ubuntu packages). I would like to avoid installing virtualbox-guest-dkms if possible because it installs a compiler and some tools for building kernel modules that I don't want to install. I found out that the vboxvideo.ko driver that I need is also included in the ubuntu's linux-image-extra-virtual package, so I've installed it, hoping that it would have the same effect as virtualbox-guest-dkms. However, it seems that it's not the case.

If I run the lsmod|grep vbox command with only linux-image-extra-virtual installed, I get this:

Code: Select all

vboxvideo              36864  2
ttm                   106496  1 vboxvideo
drm_kms_helper        172032  1 vboxvideo
drm                   401408  5 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo,ttm
On the contrary, with virtualbox-guest-dkms, I get this:

Code: Select all

vboxvideo              36864  2
ttm                   106496  1 vboxvideo
drm_kms_helper        172032  1 vboxvideo
drm                   401408  5 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo,ttm
syscopyarea            16384  2 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo
sysfillrect            16384  2 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo
sysimgblt              16384  2 drm_kms_helper,vboxvideo
What could explain this difference? Is the vboxvideo.ko driver very different than the one shipped in linux-image-extra-virtual? Or do I miss something?

PS: I'm a newbie on linux kernel/drivers topics
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Understanding the vboxvideo difference between linux-image-extra-virtual virtualbox-guest-dkms

Post by socratis »

DKMS hasn't been used for the Guest Additions (GAs) since the last of the 5.0.x series, after 5.1.0 was introduced there's no need for DKMS. You need to get rid of them all, anything VirtualBox related in the guest and start fresh.

What you're doing with "apt" is to get the forked GAs from the Ubuntu repository. Don't. There's an official way of installing the GAs in an Ubuntu guest. With the VM window having the focus, you go to your host's menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and follow the autorun prompts. If autorun is disabled, you need to run:
  • 
    sudo <CD>/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
You need to have "gcc", "perl", and "make" available, as well as your currently matching kernel headers:
  • 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc make perl kernel-headers-$(uname -r) kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Using VirtualBox".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZieQ

Re: Understanding the vboxvideo difference between linux-image-extra-virtual virtualbox-guest-dkms

Post by ZieQ »

In fact, I wanted to use ubuntu packages in order to avoid installing build tools is my VMs and to benefit from automatic updates. As I understand it, it's not possible? Why don't you provide a PPA or prebuilt packages if the ones in the repositories are obsolete?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ZieQ wrote:I wanted to use ubuntu packages in order to avoid installing build tools is my VMs and to benefit from automatic updates.
I can't stop you from doing that. But you got to stay in their support channels then. But, I do believe however that you're going to have the build tools installed, no way around it.

I can't see the benefit of a prebuilt Linux module, honestly.
ZieQ wrote:As I understand it, it's not possible?
That's my understanding as well.
ZieQ wrote:Why don't you provide a PPA or prebuilt packages if the ones in the repositories are obsolete?
*I* don't provide anything, *I* am a simple user like you. But, you can add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools. Details in the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

Oh, the GAs still have to be compiled BTW, even from the official installation site. No way around it based on the kernel versions out there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZieQ

Post by ZieQ »

socratis wrote:
ZieQ wrote:Why don't you provide a PPA or prebuilt packages if the ones in the repositories are obsolete?
*I* don't provide anything, *I* am a simple user like you. But, you can add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools. Details in the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Sorry, it was a question for the Oracle guys. There's already a PPA for the host Virtualbox application, why not for the guest additions? Would be cool but I understand there's none yet. So I'll build the guest additions then. Thanks for your help socratis.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ZieQ wrote:Sorry, it was a question for the Oracle guys
Sure, I understand. I should have put a smiley at the end of my sentence... :)
ZieQ wrote:There's already a PPA for the host Virtualbox application, why not for the guest additions?
Because a binary release for each and every kernel out there would be a nightmare! A logistics one! Are you planning on supporting and building a binary kernel from Ubuntu 4.10 to Ubuntu 19.10 with each and every kernel version in between? That's *a lot of* binaries right there, just for Ubuntu alone! :shock:
ZieQ wrote:Thanks for your help socratis.
Don't sweat it... ;)