VMSVGA driver support for ubuntu18.10 on Vbox 6.0.4

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dany321

VMSVGA driver support for ubuntu18.10 on Vbox 6.0.4

Post by dany321 »

Hi,

I'm able to see VMSVGA graphics controller in display settings. When I apply it for the Vitual machine and run "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" I'm not able to find the VMSVGA graphics driver.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)
Also due to the display settings my ubuntu is lagging a lot.

Is there really any host hardware accelerated 3D graphics running on the virtual machine? Will the GPU in the host machine be used for the virtual machine as well? If yes, can someone please help me with the procedure to find it.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Mar 2019, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMSVGA driver support for ubuntu18.10 on Vbox 6.0.4

Post by socratis »

With the VBoxVGA vGPU option, you get:
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.2.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.2.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 18.2.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
With the VMSVGA vGPU option, you get:
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 18.2.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
As you can see with neither of the cases you see the option that's in the VM Settings. I mean, they could be calling VMSVGA as "The one for your Linux guests", VBoxSVGA as "The one for your Windows guests", the VBoxVGA as "The old but trusted". Would you expect the vGPU in your Linux to actually say "The one for your Linux guests"? The name of the options presented in the VM Settings have nothing to do with the underlying engine...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

Is xserver-xorg-video-vmware installed?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@dani321
You posted twice the exact copy/paste question in the "Windows Hosts" and in the "Linux Hosts" areas. I would have straight out deleted your 2nd post, had not 'towo2099' already replied. I did remove your 2nd question, leaving only towo's reply. Please don't post duplicates. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette...

@towo2099
What does the VMWare driver have to do with that? Do you have to install that video driver? Why?

I'm moving this to the "Linux Guests" area, that's where the question should have landed in the first place...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@dani321
I just deleted yet another copy/paste of yours! Look, I don't have the time or the patience. Either you stop posting the same message over and over again, or I'll recommend a mandatory vacation from the forums, is that clear?
dany321

Post by dany321 »

@socratis

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Actually I have VirtualBox on windows host and I'm using ubuntu as my virtual machine.
I'd by mistake posted the query on the wrong page. So I posted the same on Windows Host Page.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, I see that, and I should have moved the topic from "Linux Hosts" to "Linux Guests" from the beginning. Doing it now...
Mats62
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS 7.6,7.2, 6.2,AlmaLinux 9.1

Post by Mats62 »

socratis/dany321:
on a side note, when I create a new VM in 6.0.4 on which I want to install CentOS 7.2 I must use VBoxSVGA. If I use VboxVGA or VMSVGA the Anaconda install GUI comes out larger than the (tiny) VM screen so I can't see what I am doing with the lower portions of the install GUI. With VBoxSVGA the size of the GUI matches the screen and I can install. This seems to be somewhat contradictive to VBoxSVGA being for Windows guests and VMSVGA being for Linux guests. For me there's no option, I have to use the VBoxSVGA to be able to install at all.

Just my 2ct
BR / Mats
Mats62
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS 7.6,7.2, 6.2,AlmaLinux 9.1

Post by Mats62 »

Hi dany321, thanks for the tip on switching to VMSVGA:-) That helped me to at least get a CentOS 7.2 guest to boot reliably also with 6.0.4 GuestAdditions installed. (problem described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91839) The VM used for the trials occasionally hung itself up and became totally unresponsive so i will try to do the same thing with a known working VM. thx + BR / Mats
dany321

Post by dany321 »

Hi All,

I'm not able to see VMSVGA even after installing guest additions.
On running GuestAdditions, I got the following message,
"VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 4.18.0-10-generic. This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules. Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution."
So i ran
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc make perl dkms
reboot
and installed GuestAdditions again using
sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
reboot
Even then, when I run "glxinfo | grep OpenGL",
I'm able to see
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)"

But. I'm supposed to see,
"OpenGL renderer string: SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;"
@socratis, can you help me with this?
Last edited by socratis on 1. Mar 2019, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
dany321

Post by dany321 »

@towo2099

"Is xserver-xorg-video-vmware installed?" --> do I need this driver? and why?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dany321 wrote:"Is xserver-xorg-video-vmware installed?" --> do I need this driver? and why?
No, you don't.

It seems that you still have not changed the Graphics Controller in the VM Settings. Have you? VM Settings » Display » Screen » Graphics Controller: VMSVGA

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
dany321

Post by dany321 »

Hi have already made the necessary changes in the VBox display settings while configuring the (ubuntu 18.10 OS) VM.
ubuntutest-2019-03-01-14-49-55.zip
Here is the log attachment.
(31.77 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

socratis wrote:
dany321 wrote:"Is xserver-xorg-video-vmware installed?" --> do I need this driver? and why?
No, you don't.
Why are you sure about that?
xserver-xorg-video-vmware is the DDX driver for the vmware Graphics adapter.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

towo2099 wrote:Why are you sure about that?
Because:
  1. I didn't see it in the documentation anywhere.
  2. Freshly installed guests don't ask for this driver to be installed. Why would you want to install a video driver manually, if the OS itself doesn't think it needs it?
I assume you tried it, since you're recommending it, so let me turn the tables a little bit:
  • Did it work? If yes, what does that mean?
  • Did you notice a difference in ... any area? Performance, stability, features, name_it?