Unable to Save Settings in VirtualBox Linux Set Up

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SKM777

Unable to Save Settings in VirtualBox Linux Set Up

Post by SKM777 »

Hi,

I am setting up VirtualBox on my PC. I'm following along with a video on to install VirtualBox running Linux with Ubuntu. (I can't show the video link in this post because I need to be a member for at least 1 day and have one post -- and I just signed up a couple minutes ago).

I am changing my settings just like the guy does in the video, but I am not able to hit the 'OK' button to actually save the changes and move forward. I also receive the 'invalid settings' notification. The guy also did in the video also received the notification and he said to ignore it. He was able to move forward just fine.

---

Here is a screenshot of what I am experiencing:
Ubunto.JPG
Ubunto.JPG (50.57 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
---

Here is what the notification says:
ubuntu2.JPG
ubuntu2.JPG (44.43 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
So I decided to do what the notification said to see if it would help, and disabled hardware virtualization found in the Acceleration section of the Systems page, then I hit OK. When I go back to change other settings, I still get that same notification. I go back to the Acceleration section, to find that the hardware virtualization box is checked and it is enabled.

Is there any way to make it so my settings changes actually get saved and I can move forward? I'm not sure what to do. I am new to VirtualBox I just downloaded it a couple hours ago. Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to Save Settings in VirtualBox Linux Set Up

Post by socratis »

SKM777 wrote:I am new to VirtualBox I just downloaded it a couple hours ago.
Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
SKM777 wrote:The guy also did in the video
Don't watch videos. Just follow the "New VM" wizard prompts. See the two chapters above, 1.8 and 1.9.
SKM777 wrote:and disabled hardware virtualization found in the Acceleration section of the Systems page, then I hit OK.
Good. Then try to start the VM. Even if it fails, it will create a log:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
PS. Did you seriously obfuscate the VM name?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.