[Solved] Setting up SSH access from local machine to virtual machine

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vsamoshkin

[Solved] Setting up SSH access from local machine to virtual machine

Post by vsamoshkin »

Hello, I've got a CentOS 7 running in VirtualBox on my local machine and I'm trying to establish a SSH access via PuTTY (running on the same local machine).

I've opened port 22 in CentOS and tunneled port 22 from VM to port 2222 on localhost via network settings in VirtualBox and was trying to start a PuTTY session by entering 127.0.0.1:2222 as an address, but got no luck doing so. I am getting "Network error: software caused connection abort" in PuTTY. I've run out of ideas and came here to ask for help. Thank you!
Last edited by socratis on 15. Feb 2019, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Setting up SSH access from local machine to virtual machine

Post by socratis »

Try adding a 2nd network adapter to the CentOS guest. Set it to Host-Only. Then in CentOS make sure that you get an IP, should be 192.168.56.101 if you left everything at their defaults, and CentOS is set to get the IP with DHCP. Then try directly to access the guest in that address, no need for port forwarding or anything like that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vsamoshkin

Post by vsamoshkin »

Thank you, Socratis! It's now working.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.