PS/2 Mouse click not working in OL 7.6 installation dialogs

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
waldorfm
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Oracle Linux

Re: Defunct installation GUI under OL 7.6

Post by waldorfm »

toracat wrote:That is really odd. When I did a test install of CentOS 7.6, I was able to reproduce the mouse problem with the [default] 'ps/2' setting. And the problem was gone when I selected 'USB Tablet'.
 Edit:  Use of 'USB Tablet' is one of the possible workarounds I listed in the CentOS bug tracker
I read your post and I agree with your assessment. Too bad I didn't see it earlier. If the problem has already been identified as a guest OS kernel problem, then that's what it is. It's a strange problem though - the mouse works in the main installation dialog, but also requires twice clicking, but clicking does not work at all in subsequent dialogs. Also, when changing the VM settings from USB Tablet back to PS/2 and restarting the system, it still works, but only until yet another system restart.

WMware has the same issue with non-modal dialogs as mentioned earlier, but at least the mouse works, probably because it does not use PS/2 mouse emulation. I guess this pretty much narrows it down.
waldorfm
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Oracle Linux

Re: Defunct installation GUI under OL 7.6

Post by waldorfm »

socratis wrote:
Thank you for the response. So, according to toracat the problem is the RHCK kernel.

I changed the title of the thread for better problem alignment.

Changing the PS/2 mouse to USB Tablet is a feasible work-around.

I'm installing minimal server and don't really need a guest mouse beside the OS installation anyway. FWIW, if I need GUI after the installation, e.g. to run Oracle Network Configuration Assistant (netca), etc. I'm using VNCpilot: https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-1024831

Thanks to everyone for responding! I'm moving on...
Mats62
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: CentOS 7.6,7.2, 6.2,AlmaLinux 9.1

Re: PS/2 Mouse click not working in OL 7.6 installation dialogs

Post by Mats62 »

waldorfm et al:
I am wondering if something I have seen may have some relevance here. I am using CentOS 7.2 Guests but Anaconda is Anaconda I guess. Basically I can only use the install GUI sensibly at all if I set my display as VboxSVGA when creating a new VM. Any other setting will make the GUI much bigger than the (tiny) display that comes up when I boot from the .iso for the actual installation.
Just my 2ct. BR / Mats

PS
A subsequent edit of this post: I am using PS/2 Mouse, I do not need the Tablet workaround, forgot to mention that initially.