i cant copy paste and dont have a mini tool bar

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dead shit

i cant copy paste and dont have a mini tool bar

Post by dead shit »

sorry for my broken English
So, from reading the subject you probably understand the problem.
I already tried fixing the copy paste through pressing ctrl+home but the tool bar just isn't there i also tried fixing copy pasting by changing the clipboard setting to bidirectional and it actualy saves the setting but doesn't do a thing.
My os is ubunto 18.04 and the guest os is the latest kali.
What can i do?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: i cant copy paste and dont have a mini tool bar

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dead shit

Post by dead shit »

thank you :)
Attachments
kali-2019-02-11-15-00-04.zip
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.972358 VirtualBox VM 6.0.4 r128413 linux.amd64 (Jan 25 2019 21:00:14) release log
00:00:22.360860 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.0 r68940 '5.2.0'
Your Guest Additions (GAs) are outdated, you need to install the GAs that come with your current VirtualBox installation. For more information checkout ch. 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux.

The basic idea is that with the VM window having the focus, you go to your host's menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and you follow the prompts. Make sure you read every single line of the output! It might contain messages about actions that you need to take. If it fails, we need that output.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rach

Post by rach »

For importing or exporting text through copy paste, you cannot do it directly between different os. You will have to create a shared folder from virtual box settings, then you can keep pasting stuff into that shared folder and then access it through the other operating system.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rach wrote:For importing or exporting text through copy paste, you cannot do it directly between different os.
Who told you that exactly? Excuse me, but what in the seven kingdoms are you talking about? Simple text shared clipboard works just fine if the appropriate Guest Additions (GAs) are installed.

Do you have a specific example that it failed for you, or you're just thinking out loud?
dead shit

Post by dead shit »

can you delete the post please? I just cant figure out how to do it
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, there's no need to delete it, we're going to mark it as [Resolved] or [WorksForMe] (most probably). As long as we help you figure it out...

Did you install the Guest Additions? I already told you how to do it in my previous post...
socratis wrote:with the VM window having the focus, you go to your host's menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and you follow the prompts. Make sure you read every single line of the output! It might contain messages about actions that you need to take. If it fails, we need that output.
Mosti

Post by Mosti »

I have the same issue, Please check my attached log file !
Attachments
VBoxLog.log
(69.73 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Mosti wrote:Please check my attached log file !
You appear to have copied the log file whilst the guest was still running so it only contains about half of the information that we need. Also, please try to zip log files before posting them.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mosti wrote:I have the same issue
Yes, you may have the same issue. But, did you even read the thread? Any of the messages? Or you just read the thread's title and decided to post me a "me too". Please read the thread and the solutions proposed. :roll:

Like the messgase right above your message, it has the solution... And I really hate repeating the same thing over and over again! In the same thread! :roll:

And if you had read the thread from the beginning you'd know how to properly get a ZIPPED complete VBox.log! :roll: