[Invalid] Ubuntu - invisible windows until mouse is moving

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu - invisible windows until mouse is moving

Post by socratis »

wroot wrote:No matter if GAs are installed or not.
I just re-read the thread from the beginning and I realized that I missed that part. Are you saying that this is happening regardless of the GAs being installed or not? Interesting...

BTW, it's best if you attach images here, locally, with your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

@PonJar
Is this the case for you too? You can see it GAs installed or not? Plus all the GPU related questions that 'wroot' asked for...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PonJar

Post by PonJar »

wroot wrote:This works fine for me in Fedora 29, which also uses Gnome. So it is Gnome+Ubuntu thing. Btw, are you using Windows host? What version of OS? Do you use Nvidia card? What model and driver version?
I have a Windows 10 host that is fully updated. It’s running on a laptop with Intel HD 4400 graphics.
PonJar

Post by PonJar »

socratis wrote:@PonJar
Is this the case for you too? You can see it GAs installed or not? Plus all the GPU related questions that 'wroot' asked for...
I have the latest GAs : 6.0.4.

Never touched the windows graphics drivers on this machine. They are Intel HD drivers, dated 04/08/2015, version 10.18.15.4248
wroot

Post by wroot »

Yes, when i was doing fresh installs to test i wasn't installing GAs and it had that issue.

I tried to upload an image here, but this forum has 128 KB limit. You wouldn't see anything if i squeeze the image to fit into such (very small for images) limit.
PonJar

Post by PonJar »

So this is getting even more strange!

I thought I would post screenshots. When I used the Ubuntu screenshot app it captured what should have been on the screen not what was on the screen at the moment I took the shot. Taking the screenshot caused the screen to refresh and display correctly. I had previously found that I could usually correct the display by clicking outside the window having issues.

Consequently I have taken pictures with my phone. The first is a settings page displaying correctly. Note the content of the printer window.
20B9DFC1-0DC1-43F7-812E-6D5470FFCA4F.jpeg
20B9DFC1-0DC1-43F7-812E-6D5470FFCA4F.jpeg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
The second is after I clicked the back arrow and dragged my mouse pointer down the left hand side of the screen. You can now see the higher level menu items on the left but still the printer window on the right.
A6398A0A-8684-4287-B1DB-83E3C16DE5AE.jpeg
A6398A0A-8684-4287-B1DB-83E3C16DE5AE.jpeg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
In summary some bits of the window display correctly and others don’t. In the file manager you can get an apparently empty folder displayed when it’s full of files. If you scroll in file manager it gets really weird. The Conky window on the right seems to display perfectly. The SpiderOak interface is also unaffected. Firefox gets scrambled too.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PonJar wrote:Taking the screenshot caused the screen to refresh and display correctly
And this ladies and gentlemen is the solution! Assign a hotkey and keep taking screenshots! :lol:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wroot

Post by wroot »

Update: this issue disappeared in Ubuntu 19.04.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Given the last comment by 'wroot' and the fact that this was happening even when the GAS were not installed, this seems like an Ubuntu issue, therefore marking this as [Invalid].