Problems seeing full computer with VirtualBox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Circuits

Problems seeing full computer with VirtualBox

Post by Circuits »

I am having a problem and I can't seem to find anyone else with a Google search who has had this problem as well. I think it will be easier if I just post a screenshot of the problem:

https://ibb.co/gvjgmrH

As you can see I can only view part of the computer. For instance if I open up FireFox I have to use a scroll bar to see the right hand side of the window. How do I fix this? Normally I would assume this is a screen resolution problem. However, with the machine running, if I select View and scroll down to Virtual Screen 1 all the options for changing resolution are grayed out.

Then I thought maybe I am supposed to change those settings on the Vm itself but I can't do that because I can't access the tool. For instance, if I pull up System Settings I can only see and access half of the options the other ones are off the screen, so that doesn't seem right.

Sorry for asking such a noob question but...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problems seeing full computer with VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

The guest display size is controlled inside the guest, VirtualBox then adapts. So change the display size settings inside the guest OS - use the scroll bar to access the dialog.
alquimista1501

Post by alquimista1501 »

I have the same problems whit advanced screem, i cannot install ubuntu 16.04 just because i cannot see the action boxes on the screem, i cannot finish the instalation. anyone whith the same problems????
Circuits

Post by Circuits »

mpack wrote:The guest display size is controlled inside the guest, VirtualBox then adapts. So change the display size settings inside the guest OS - use the scroll bar to access the dialog.
What display setting were you referring too? The system I am working with is Ubuntu 12.04 and the only displaying setting I have is resolution. Altering the resolution doesn't solve my problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Circuits wrote: What display setting were you referring to?
Whatever display setting the guest provides. It's impossible to be specific: it changes across versions even with the same OS.

VirtualBox provides a display adapter, the display adapter does what it's told to do. The trick is to get your guest OS to tell it the right thing.

Note another point: if there was a bug in the display adapter it would affect all guest OS's you install.